Is there such a thing as "Too early"?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by WurlyBird, Aug 26, 2008.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1

WurlyBird

WurlyBird

WurlyBird

So my wife and I are both pilots and we are planning on getting a little plane when we get home. We also have a little 10 month old future pilot waiting for us at home. I obviously don't want him to be afraid of flying but I also want to get him in the air as soon as possible so we can have family fun days with the plane. So who has experience and advice about taking kids flying? I know the owner of the gliderport I used to work at took his son up in a car seat at times, seems the kid slept like a champ up there. When I took my 6 year old nephew up in a glider he was pretty freaked out for the first half but loved it once he relaxed. Just looking for some other peoples ideas on the subject. Thanks.

James

2. Aug 26, 2008 #2

Craig

Craig

Craig

James, I started taking my (now 33 year old) daughter flying when she was about 18 months. Other than once descending too fast for her little eardrums while on an IFR flight, we never had a problem.
    When she started screaming and batting her ears, I called control and asked for a slight climb, then a very shallow descent (due to pax discomfort) They were very happy to oblige. 200-300 fpm down seemed to do OK - 500 fpm or more was too much.
    She still enjoys flying, as do all her kids!

3. Aug 30, 2008 #3

windair

windair

windair

I have flown twice in our c172 with my 9 month old daughter. It was pretty much uneventful. Both times she went to sleep immediately and did not wake up until the decent for landing. I descended for landing at less than 500 fpm and gave her a bottle to help clear here ears. My wife and I were concerned with the noise so we tried to put some cotton in her ears but she would just cry and pull it out. Growing up in a flying family, I spent many hours in the back of airplanes without hearing protection and despite what my wife may tell you I suffered no permanent damage:gig:

4. Aug 30, 2008 #4

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

Along time ago i flew my girlfriend and her to kids to lunch in Santa Barbara. We had some clouds enroute and had to fly at 8-9k feet. The descent to the airport was quite steep due to terrain, about 1000fpm and they started to cry because of there ears hurting. We quickly gave them some gum to chew after realizing what was happening and slowed our descent out over the ocean. By the time we were on the ground they were happy again. If i would have realized the potential problem before hand i would of set up a slow descent out over the ocean to begin with and avoided the problem.

skeeter

5. Aug 31, 2008 #5

WurlyBird

WurlyBird

WurlyBird

I like it, never too early. So the follow up question would be, for little kids is it safe to use a DOT car seat and just buckle it in like normal? The two car seats we have both use only the lap belt portion for actual security, so does the same more or less hold true in a plane? I can't wait to go flying with my son.