Quantcast

Is electric propulsion worth it?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Speedboat100

IMHO, 120+ mph with 1.5 hr duration all packaged into a 70 kg empty weight plane usable by the average pilot is defying physics as we currently know them.

Edit add: I would be thrilled if you could prove me wrong.

I think we are closer to that day now.

Anything efficient will have a decent L/D ratio. Biplanes don't.
I think I got it now. 12.8 aspect ratio. No LG hanging in slip stream.

Last edited:

Speedboat100

What do you think....could a electric AC in the FAI super lite class ( under 300 kg ) do the new altitude record ?

Speedboat100

What altitude you need to achieve?
And... it is in this class separated category for electric propulsion and for airplanes with combustion engines?

I was thinking about the famous record by australian pilot/inventor who made the Facet Opal....Scottie Winton.

It is near 10 000 meters.

patrickrio

Brain studies on climbers who climb 8000 meter peaks without oxygen show likely temporary and possibly permanent changes to cognition. It's a pretty small sample size though.

But pretty sure you don't want to be anywhere close to that extreme.

henryk

flight in mountain wave

+some theory...

Speedboat100

+some theory...

Almost 23 km reached so far without an engine: Perlan Project - Wikipedia

Similar conditions as flying in Mars !!!!

That'll be day when someone flys the wave record at mt. Olympos Mons in Mars !

Aspect ratio 27 ! ( lots of intersection drag ).

airbus-perlan-mission-ii.jpg

Last edited:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Just imagine the chaos above the city during rush hour. It's bad enough on the roads where everyone is going the same direction. In the air, with everyone going direct, the risk of midairs would be so great that only computerized, automated flight control in every machine, communicating with a ground control station, could make it workable. The pilot would be a passenger, nothing more.
And that, unfortunately, is exactly what the FAA and companies building into the "air mobility" concept are working on. Complete positive control of every crewed aircraft and UAV in the control space. I very strongly suspect that we're going to see new kinds of airspace popping up in urban areas, where this sort of technology and capability is required for entry, much like a clearance and Mode C is currently required in Class B.

One has to determine whether going to the office to work on your computer is really necessary anymore. Only the workers that do non-automated hands-on stuff would need to be at the plant. Sometimes we take modern technology and apply it to outdated processes instead of updating the process itself. A solution in search of a problem, so to speak.
While not really a topic for HBA, it's going to factor into these "air mobility" plans. Their viability depends on transporting bodies around urban areas.