Ipad in the cockpit

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Jaysmiths, Apr 3, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 13, 2011 #21

AtomicZ

AtomicZ

AtomicZ

What I'm waiting for is someone to develop a small data acquisition board that can transmit sensor data back to the ipad over a serial connection. Then a cable such as this one: Southern Stars • Products • SkyWire could be used to make the ipad into a full-fledged glass cockpit including engine information display.

2. Mar 13, 2011 #22

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

The hard part is the sensors, not so much the electronics to convert it to USB/Bluetooth/other cable.

I think Dynon has some sensor output, but I'm not completely sure about that.

3. Mar 13, 2011 #23

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

zk-jkw

checkout the iMonitor software from Trutrak. It uses their EMS module and a wifi transmitter TruTrak Flight Systems

Streffpilot likes this.
  4. Mar 14, 2011 #24

AtomicZ

AtomicZ

AtomicZ

You are correct that the "hard" part is the sensors in the grand scheme of things. With iPad accessories, Apple has very stringent terms for developers who want to utilize the dock connector to interface with external hardware. This is why so many items rely on using WiFi or bluetooth in order to communicate with an iPad, iPhone, etc. I had seen your previous comment about how Rutan flew his plane with info from a Mac that communicated over serial and that is what spawned my comment about the particular adapter I had found. In terms of data acquisition, the sensors, signal conditioning, and shielding are the main areas that can make or break data quality. I'm not the most knowledgeable about avionics but I don't see much of anything that I don't feel a homebuilder could adequately replicate with a small embedded system such as an Arduino. Once that was setup, the data could be transferred back to the iPad which has all the processing power you would need. I can't imagine the sampling rates being anything special so it would be pretty awesome to have the functionality of a very expensive flight display at the price point of an iPad plus some accessories and development time. No, it wouldn't be certified or anything, but you have to start somewhere and isn't that what experimental aviation is all about? The iMonitor and associated modules from TruTrak that zk-jkw mentioned are a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

5. Mar 14, 2011 #25

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Well, while that's true, I don't see the point of going to all that trouble while full-blown PFD's are so affordable. You already have a capable EFIS for 1500 US$ or so. By the time you've ordered that Arduino, the sensors and the interface+Ipad you're there as well. Not to mention that the EFIS you buy actually works, compared to an awful lot of programming for something custom-built. Usually electronics isn't about what the sensors/computer can do, but how practical the interface is and how flexible it is.

Just wait for the next generation of Ipad's (or buy an Iphone/HTC):
    More evidence of gyroscope sensor in a future iPad

With a gyro and gps you basically have everything you need, except for speed, which isn't as important as the other two. Then we'll see the start of systems that use all that native sensors as an EFIS.

6. Apr 4, 2011 #26

pie_row

pie_row

pie_row

Try the B&N Nook E-reader with an android operating system on it. $190

7. Apr 4, 2011 #27

Anymouse

Anymouse

Anymouse

Pretty much homeless. My location varies from SW A
    There's a free Nook app for the iPad. ;)

8. Aug 5, 2011 #28

AviatorBoy

AviatorBoy

AviatorBoy

I am a software developer interested in creating the best tool for the cockpit.
    I know there are currently many systems like the Garmin 696, and combinations of various software (ForeFlight, Xwing) with the iPad.
    Do you think you can build a better system and application? I think so. [​IMG]

Please spend 12 minutes on the following survey to help me understand your needs and your thoughts on the limitations of existing solutions.

Survey | Qualtrics Survey Software

9. Nov 7, 2011 #29

anandaleon

anandaleon

anandaleon

Re: Ipad in the cockpit - new AHRS for the iPad

This is the latest development for the iPad. Battery powered mini AHRS for the iPad. You can now have Synthetic Vision and full EFIS capabilities wireless on the device.

www.aviation.levil.com/AHRS_mini.htm

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Nov 7, 2011 #30

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Jay Kempf

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow! and WOW! This stuff is starting to get pretty cheap.

11. Nov 23, 2011 #31

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Darn that IPad is good...and I only have Maps and a GPS in my NOKIA N8.

12. Feb 1, 2012 #32

Zobenko_Andrey

Zobenko_Andrey

Zobenko_Andrey

Good day, guys!
    I plan an instrument panel for my plane. I think to install Tablet PC in role of GPS navigator (only for navigation, other indicators I have already). The problem is I live currently in Korea and I afraid that I can't find navigator SW with charts for Korea. I have paper chart and can scan it but I have no experience in navigation programs
    Can you recommend me what to choose? Android or Windows or IOS? And can you recommend any programm? I like to use SW where Korean chart exist or if impossible where is some capability to make own map and to attach it.
    Also, I have no experience of working with Tablet PC, may be you recommend me some model or something better?
    I'll be very glad for any advices!
    Thank you!
    Have a safe landings!

13. Feb 1, 2012 #33

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

For Android OS, you might look at Oruxmaps... it's not an aviation specific app (though it does include US VFR charts), but you can import and calibrate scanned maps (I haven't tried that, though).

-Dana

Balance the budget--declare politicians a game species.

14. Feb 3, 2012 #34

Zobenko_Andrey

Zobenko_Andrey

Zobenko_Andrey

Thank you very much!
    I'll try it.

15. Apr 30, 2013 #35

prosafetypilot

prosafetypilot

prosafetypilot

Just 2 more cents... I use a tablet when flying for complete moving maps and my paper ones for back ups. I get time, distance and heading info from it and it is updated every time I open the FREE app with the TFR's, NOTAMS etc actually depicted on the map. The tablet I use is from ASUS ($179) and the app is called Avare. AMAZING tool. There is also a VOR locator app for those without the right equipment to navigate VOR's. It basically displays a normal OBS and uses the gps position to determine the radial you are on to/from etc. I highly recommend both! I typically fly a Beechcraft Sundowner that is complete IFR capable but still use my handy tablet to verify everything.

16. Apr 30, 2013 #36

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

A friend of mine uses his with the Foreflight system and weather during cross country flights. He says the nicest thing is that he can monitor weather ahead and see which way the systems are moving and which areas are clearing... information that might not be obvious just by looking out the window. It allows him to prepick his best route as he flies to give him the best chance of getting through, whereas without it, he would probably land and wait for everything to clear out. Don't get me wrong though... he is a very conservative flyer and still maintains large clearances from weather systems, but the active radar map helps him see which routes look like they are clearing and which look like they are getting worse.