Insight on Rebuilding Falcon UL

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Turd Ferguson

HBA Supporter
I liked their marketing angle. Somehow they convinced chuck yeager to say it was the only ultralight he would "own" and therefore, it was better than all others. Combined.
falcon.jpeg

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I covered my Falcon XP wing with Polyfiber and it turned out great. I have full confidence in it. Has never had any problems. Leading edge is fully covered. I wouldn't do it any other way. Avoid the chance of peel. They are great flyers, but have low wing loading so bumpy days are not fun for the pilot. The plane doesn't seem to care. Four pedals takes a bit of getting used to. They easily T/O and land in less than 1000'.
Four pedals?

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
I realize that the covering weight portion of this thread is rather old, but for some perspective, I restored a Kolb Twinstar several years ago. Each wing is approximately 14.5' x 5.5'. Each bare wing structure was ~33lb 14 oz. After cover with 'light weight' fabric from Spruce, including tapes, rib stitching, full length gap seal for the flaperon, etc, each weighed ~36 lb 9 oz. After multiple coats of Glidden Gripper acrylic (latex) primer & several coats of high gloss Behr exterior premium acrylic house paint, each weighed ~40 lb 14 oz. Call it 90 sq ft (10 sq yds) of cover for each wing; cover & finish paint weighed 7 lbs. That's about 1.25 oz/sq ft, total. Good? Bad? I don't know, but those are achievable numbers using light weight fabric & the 'latex' finishing process detailed on Wiener Dog Aero's web site.

Charlie

reo12

I don't know if this is still a good phone number. Mike Fithian at Falcon East (914) 528-8940
I have an email that he still used as of early this year - [email protected]
Hi Joe,
I forgot to mention I measured the Phoenix wings for the dimensions I gave. They are slightly thinner and the root end ribs are longer. They lean against each other in the building. Below is a photo with the UL wing on the left. The wingtip rudder/stabilizer is upturned on the Phoenix/Safety Craft. The main Tedlar covered portion is stationary. Only the rudder/dragger is moving. Here is a photo of that also.

The Polini 202 looks interesting. I'd be willing to try one if I was given the chance. I wonder what has to be replaced at 250 hours? That is a short - glorious life. Using it could get costly if much has to be replaced at 250 hours.

Here is some information on the development of the Falcon UL. I just found this today. When I talked to Romuald back in 1997 he said he had designed a number of versions of the Falcon. I didn't understand quite what he meant. This article gives some insight. American Aircraft Falcon
11/11/2021
I don't see a means of editing my posts. I've since talked several times this year with Romuald. My plane is an Orion Falcon. Not Safety Craft or Phoenix. The Orion Falcon was made by Romuald's company - Orion Aircraft. Orion Aircraft is who also manufactured the unique 3 blade propeller that Romuald designed for the Falcon UL. A total of 50 Orion Aircraft Falcon's were produced. 40 were sold to the US military for use as drones and nearly certainly destroyed. 10 were sold to the public. The 2 that I have were among those ten sold to the public. They were sold to senator Jake Garn. He had them modified from toe brakes to conventional rudder pedals and grip mounted hydraulic brakes. Bodie Beddingfeild had manufacturing tooling at one time for them and one plane. That plane is now in Romuald's possession. Romuald stated he does not know what became of the tooling. Bodie is suffering from dementia and in a nursing home. I've contacted his care giver who says he doesn't own anything aviation related anymore and not able to say what became of what he had. That knowledge is lost
I'm sure there is someone who knows more.