Illinois Fee's

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rheuschele

Ok I apologize, this has nothing to do with homebuilt but does have to do with fee's.
I got a notice the other day stating that the state of Illinois wants $10 from me because I
am a pilot. No other reason. They just want $10. Could anyone tell me what this is for?
They didn't issue my license, they don't maintain my license, there is no testing, no proof
of currency, who are they to demand $10? They threaten me with a fine and 1 year in jail
if I don't comply. Really? Is $10 from every pilot going to help anything in anyway?
I think it's time to leave Illinois.
Ron

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Not that it helps much (it's the principle of the thing), but it looks like the 10 bucks covers 2 years. For now. Here's the web page. http://www.dot.il.gov/aero/pilotreg.html#Pilot Registration . This is all separate from the fee they charge if you own an airplane in Illinois.

It covers all the great safety programs the State does. Really. It doesn't matter whether you use them or not. Unfortunately, I think there will be a lot more of this as budgets tighten.

Hey, if you live near Chicago I know you've seen more outrageous government activity than this!

Mark W.

Matt G.

This is nothing new and one of the many idiotic things done by the state of IL (I lived there for 23 years). I can't express how happy I was to send in my biannual 'bill' with the 'moved out of state' box checked instead of $10.

expl

Wow... Seriuosly, guys.. Your government is full of crazy ideas. None of this is my concern, but the problem is, that ours tend to copy them (example announcement might be: "A lot of developed countries in the world is taxing the infrastructure and qualifications. The fee is not that big - for example, in USA, state of illinois, it is $10 per pilot, $20 per aircraft, bla bla bla")

And boom - you have one state taxed, we have whole country.

:(

Tony

Another reason to move from this lovely state. I was reading somewhere, the major moving companies keep record where people are moving from and too. Illinois was Number 1 for people moving out of state.
I am lucky and found a really nice 4000' Grass strip with Condo, or I would be moving ASAP. If something ever happens to this strip I am gone from IL.
Tony

Tony

I was talking to the owner of my airport and he told me he has paid these fee's for years. He has no problem with these fee's or the fee's Illinois charges to own an airplane. He says thats the way it is and always has been, and he could not understand why anyone would question such fee's.
I told him I have a problem with these fee's.
Tony

rheuschele

I have a problem with fee's that don't make sense. If they had issued the license, I might not mind so much, but to target a group for no reason?
ron