I think that i might be in trouble...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

justus

So a few hours after my previous post, that is just below this one, my mom came to me and told me that she would not allow me to build a minimax like that one. She told me that if i was going to build an airplane that it had to look like it "Came out of Porco Rosso"
. Now i am 16 so i am not moving out for quite a while so it now seems i will never have an aircraft because she wont let me buy one ether. Unless, unless i can some how manage to build something like this-

or these-

so any help or advice would be appreciated. I think that she put these rules in place to keep me grounded, also it has to be a seaplane, another limitation.

justus

I forgot to say one last thing. In my area there is a flight school for kids my age so that we can get pilot licenses, and my mom said that she would pay for it if i built a plane. man i sound like a little kid..

MikePousson

Ok. I get you got a problem with mom. But, what's her problem with the Minimax. It looks like a plane, flies like a plane, so it's a plane. Same analogy as a duck. It's not my style, but that's me. If she wants to pay for your flying lessons, don't let that one slip away before she changes her mind. She may even pay for a kit she likes and you can only dream about.
Good luck. Keep your Minimax on the back burner.
If it's amphibious, point her toward an ICON A5.

narfi

Research around your area, see if there is a Club owned plane that you can buy a share of.... a couple thousand dollars could get you something flying that comes with responsible adults taking care of it and eager for you (a young person) to get into aviation.
They can help mentor you, they can help calm your moms nerves, they can help you know which instructor is best (already on that clubs insurance) and you are well on your way to flying.

Focus on that for now, get soloing regularly and within boundaries that your mom is comfortable with, then you can start into bigger plans with the guidance of your new mentors towards building or owning something more 'seaworthy'

*This is how I learned to fly, $2k for a 1/10th of a Cessna 150, i was getting instruction when i was 15 and soloed on my 16th birthday (before I went to get my drivers licence)
Since then I have gotten my license (when I was 17 and old enough) and moved up to Alaska (when I was 17 (with parents permission)) where I apprenticed as an aircraft mechanic, got my A&P and built a carrier around aviation.

MikePousson

1 1/2 years ago my 19 year old great nephew asked his mom (my niece)to pay for his flight school from zero time to crop duster 250 hour commercial. She did ($59,000) and he's now a crop duster in Louisiana. Talking to her this morning, she told me he wrote a check for $12,000 to start paying her back. And I know the kid. He'll pay back the whole thing ASAP. The good son thanking his mom for a life in aviation.

If she is willing to pay for flying lessons, do it and smile, because you just about have the only mom who will do it.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Funny! A few thoughts...

• Elsewhere on this site are a couple of threads about building a Shavrov Sh-2, a 1930s Soviet amphibian, posted by a Russian builder. The Sh-2 would have been right at home in Porco Rosso or Tintin.
  • A Volmer Sportman is a fine idea, and since it was designed to take Aeronca Champ or Chief wings, you could start building a set of those.
  • Not all the Porco Rosso planes were boat hull designs...how about a Flitzer biplane on floats?

Seriously, though, if your Mom is willing to pay even some of your flying, jump at the chance and do her proud!

Victor Bravo

My mom paid for my flying lessons, it changed the entire course of my life for the better. Without the excitement and confidence that flying gave me, I definitely would have been one of those spoiled-ass L.A. kids with three trips to rehab and no dreams to pursue.

Speaking from direct personal experience, it's the best money Mom could ever spend. Send her onto this forum and have her look me up, I'll be glad to explain how and why it saved my life. Serious offer.

skier

My mom paid for my flying lessons, it changed the entire course of my life for the better... Speaking from direct personal experience, it's the best money Mom could ever spend. Send her onto this forum and have her look me up, I'll be glad to explain how and why it saved my life. Serious offer.
My mom (and dad) also paid for my flight lessons. They led directly to my first job, washing airplanes and doing random stuff around the airport for the local A&P. And my second job, engineering internship at Cessna. Come to think of it, it also helped with my 5th and 6th (current) jobs. 3 and 4 were engineering internships outside of aviation, but they were definitely fun and I got them in large part because I was getting good grades because I was having fun learning about something I loved (airplanes).

Thanks Mom!

if i was going to build an airplane that it had to look like it "Came out of Porco Rosso"
I don't know if you can find plans (Wikipedia says they were available as of 2009), but there is the Osprey X-28
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey_Osprey_I

252-3.jpg

Midniteoyl

1 1/2 years ago my 19 year old great nephew asked his mom (my niece)to pay for his flight school from zero time to crop duster 250 hour commercial. She did ($59,000) and he's now a crop duster in Louisiana. Talking to her this morning, she told me he wrote a check for $12,000 to start paying her back. And I know the kid. He'll pay back the whole thing ASAP. The good son thanking his mom for a life in aviation.
Nice...

proppastie

Log Member
I forgot to say one last thing. In my area there is a flight school for kids my age so that we can get pilot licenses, and my mom said that she would pay for it if i built a plane. man i sound like a little kid..
that sounds like "no you can not learn to fly" to me.....how about You can learn to drive after you build your car. and some of you guys defended her.

choppergirl

Choppergirl's Flying Circus ★★☠★★ AIR-WAR.ORG
60K to learn to fly a crop duster? Pfft... Bump that... back in the day I think all you needed was a pair of goggles and some barnstorming experience and a plane and you were in business. Your own business at that cause it was odd jobbing. That's how Huff Daland Dusters... er, I mean... Delta... got started... and er... some kid with his homebuilt airplane that founded Air Tractor

One of these days you're not going to be able to go to the bathroom to poop unless you have 12 certications and 3 different licences, an insurance card, and a tag and sticker on your a**, not to mention dual instruction

Did Google fail me? Porco Rosso LOLZ I guess not.

Don't let these guys know your age or they'll never stop calling you a millennial :-/

Last edited:
Group Builder