• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

I am glad I find you guys .Need advice to design and build the floats - 3500 Moose.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryksviii

Halo,

I'm glad I find your site, because I need a little ( big or huge more likely) advice with my project.
I think, you guys are the treasure box of information regarding anything that flays.
Would like to build Murphy 3500 Moose on floats, it is in my plans per last 15 years – about time to do it. Floats are the problem, as much as I like the water and enjoy freedom of avoiding airports , building airplane without them will be worthless for me.
I can't believe how expensive they are. I would like to build them by myself.

I am just average contractor with dreams and spending $50K on the Moose kit and 15K – 30K for the engine is heavy already for my budget.
Of curse, I will stretch it for 2 years. I am determine to build those floats . I'v got European degree of construction, college education, so I know the basics of physics and math etc. Not much of airplanes and marines.

I would tell you what I know first.
One cubic meter of air will hold 1000 Kg /2200 pounds floating on the water.
So, my floats need to be 1,5 cubic meter capacity each.
12 meters long triangular design 0.5 m x 0.5 m will give me about 1.5 cubic meter each float.
They need to be design according to the major aerodynamics. Larger up front and smaller on the back, similar to the airplane wing. Also needs to be thinner on the back allowing for take of.
I would like to make the frame from aluminum and stainless enforcing thin rods going in to the whole length of the floats (4 of them on each, 2 on top sides and 1 on each wall). Skin aluminum or light weight composites , or both.

As you see I don't know very much yet.

I don't know how to attach and control the steering system and some kind of wheels.
My idea is , to construct removable wheels , four of them for each float.
Make one opening up front of the float and one on the end. When ever is needed I'll jump of the airplane and push small bar or pipe in to them installing the wheels on each ends.
With this plan, the wheels could be large enough allowing airplane to take of from the airport or highway occasionally, fly and land on the water.
I also have no idea what should be the distance between the floats and how deep they need to be placed bellow belly of the machine.
I am sure I can contact some of the Moose owners and they will measure it for me and I'll just copy it.

Well I think, I took to much of your time already.
Thank you very much for any help you can provide, I really appreciate.

With best wishes, sincerely
Henryk Sienkiewicz
Las Vegas, NV

Back