• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How to extrapolate the curve that connects airfoil coordinates for aerodynamic shape carved into foam by hand without CAD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoFairing

Hello I want to carve an aerodynamic shape based on horizontal and vertical airfoil coordinates and a single cross section to ensure fit then extrapolating to every airfoil coordinate along the body.

How can I extrapolate this curve?

I have seen the Arnold Company videos where he uses templates which are based on scale models. I don't have his skill so will need a method to find the curve.

Here is the surf board method, the height and width are cut first with wooden hot wire templates, then the corners are progressively cut off to reveal the curve.
Pictures of the project are here: Project Sanderson. AV-ACG
1.png
2.png

Here is the stacked slice method although the slices in the example were derived from CAD which I don't understand. If the curve can be discovered the slices might be able to be done without CAD although I imagine it would be time consuming with 60, 4cm slices for example.
Pictures from here: The Recumbent Bicycle and Human Powered Vehicle Information Center
plug01.jpg
plug02.jpg

This seems a bit magical as I don't yet understand how the find that curve for the surf board method or for the stacked slice method.

Back