• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How much of airfoil surface is typical laminar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

1. Is the vast majority of the under side of typically laminar? What if they are symetric?

2. I read most airfoils are laminar in the first 15% of the top, and fully laminar on the bottom.

3. Is it true that the faster a wing travels, the less of it is laminar and the higher the drag coefficient? But I also heard the skin drag of higher Re wings is lower.

4. Is there such a thing as a fully laminar wing, or is there more of a spectrum of percentage laminar? Or is 50% usually the limit?

5. Was the daedalus wing laminar?

6. I read that to get laminar flow, you need the correct AoA, a small leading radius, and the thickest point further back. Does that typically reduce the coefficient of lift at L/D max? (I don't care about max L/D, which usually has high profile drag)

7. I read that around Re = 1,000,000, turbulent skin has 5x the drag as laminar skin. If the top trailing 85% of the wing is turbulent, making it laminar would reduce the skin drag by more than half.

One reason I'd prefer a conventional airfoil is so the lift is concentrated near the spar in front and I can make the ribs stronger there to take the tension in the mylar, without having to buff up the trailing edge so much.

Two reason I'd prefer a laminar flow airfoil are:
1. Less drag.
2. The whole airfoil will be higher and forward of the spar at the hub, so the highly pitched ribs by the hub don't crash into the body of the helicopter as they go around. I'd be happy with a turbulent foil if the spar could be placed mid cord.

Back