• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Horten Wing Calculator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I have created an Excel spreadsheet for calculating the twist of a Horten style wing. It also calculates several other parameters, as described in Karl Nickel's book "Tailless Aircraft in Theory and Practice".

This is for a single taper wing only, as I am still working on the "extended center chord" problem as seen on several of the Horten designs.

It has taken a while for me to understand enough so that I can create this spreadsheet. The biggest problem is that I had to collect equations from many different sources, so I claim no originality for any of this. I know there are others out there in HBA land that are interested in tailless aircraft, so here it is....

View attachment BSLD Twist - Copy.xls

I hope this works. The attachment loader did not like the ".xlsx" file extension so I had to rename it to ".xls".

If you find anything that does not look right, or have any questions, please let me know. I am not arrogant enough to think that this is perfect (well, maybe almost;)).

By the way, XFLR5 seems happy with the results.

[Edit] Forgot one note on the spreadsheet. Distances are related to the wing leading edge at the centerline.

[Edit] Another note...The value "C-CG" must be positive for stability.

Back