Home made tools.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
Anyone have any ideas for homemade tools they made in building a homebuilt airplane.

My 12" homemade heavy duty brake to bending fitting. Been used to build 6 airplanes.

Made from scrap steel. For the thickest 4130 I use a larger C clamp to keep the same radius for all the bend.

Attachments

Last edited:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops, often times I've taken existing tools and altered them to make them better.

I have an old vise that was given to me in a will, of you could imagine. When I was a kid and old top fuel racer, who still holds records, taught me to lead body panels and shape them with hand tools. He also taught me to Oxy weld. Wasn't even a teenager yet. I would spend hours with him working on cars. I always loved his vise and he knew it. The vise was reinforced with 3/8" plate to take abuse, all oxy welded. When he passed away the kids told me he left me the vise. I always look at that vise as one of the greatest things in my life. Not because it's a great tool, because it's a symbol of the human spirit. You see, he had MS for over 40 years and never stopped working on race cars. He would crawl on the floor and drag himself around because his legs wouldn't work. He died broke and that's why he made his own tools.

He was part of that great generation. I miss him. He taught me to think.

I'm not sure what my point is, maybe these old tools have a story to tell? I have quite a few homebuilt tools, even a thick block of steel can be a pretty good tool. I think making tools is healthy for your spirit.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It's a different world today, BJC. I'm 45 not considered real old but I always fit in well with the older guys. Still to this day most of my pilot friends, wrenching friends etc are all older. Most over 80. Lately I feel like a caretaker, but I happily accept that task because they taught me so much.

All these guys have homemade tools. Society it seems has changed. People feel good about buying tools and spending money. Lots of lessons to be learned in making tools.

In the back of my head I always envisioned making a really stout bending brake with a 4" width. A brake exclusively for things like 1/8" landing fittings. I may never get to it but I'd like to. I have it worked out in my head.

Rockiedog2

Mods: We really need the "like" button.

Scrapper: LIKE

BJC
I wanted to like Scrapper and Pops tools.
Maybe I'm premature with this but I've gotten pissed off about our like button and the mods ignoring us. yeah i know its the weekend and theyre doin other stuff. I don't care; I'm still pissed off. I wonder if this would have gotten any likes.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I wanted to like Scrapper and Pops tools.
Maybe I'm premature with this but I've gotten pissed off about our like button and the mods ignoring us. yeah i know its the weekend and theyre doin other stuff. I don't care; I'm still pissed off. I wonder if this would have gotten any likes.
Agreement and likes.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
I'm 45 not considered real old ...
Many of us consider you a youngster. When I first joined an EAA chapter, all of the members were, literally, old enough to be my parents. Lots of good people, they were ...

Lately I feel like a caretaker,
It is clear that you have bcome the caretaker of the Cassutt design. That is a worthwhile effort. The Cassutt design has been underapreciated for many years. Hope you get the plans business some time.

BJC

****, I miss the like button. Mods, wake up!

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Many of us consider you a youngster. When I first joined an EAA chapter, all of the members were, literally, old enough to be my parents. Lots of good people, they were ...

It is clear that you have bcome the caretaker of the Cassutt design. That is a worthwhile effort. The Cassutt design has been underapreciated for many years. Hope you get the plans business some time.

BJC

****, I miss the like button. Mods, wake up!
While I'd certainly take care of the Cassutt design rights it would probably be in the wrong hands with me. These things are earned. I have never built or flown a Cassutt. I'm working on changing that.

My current goal is to supply enthusiasm for the design, that's what I'm capable of right now so that's my mission. Tonight I'm writing my first blog post and hopefully that will set me down on the right path for the Cassutt community.

What happened to the like button by the way? A glitch? Is it permanent?

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The thing with not having a "like" button is it appears as if others don't read or recognize a post. For the record, I read all the posts and like them all. Lol.

It work ok, thin aluminum is good, 4130 in .035" not so good. I would design it differently today.

Plenty of guys have bent metal with clamped boards or iron, nothing wrong with that at all. Takes more skill actually.

I'd like to find an old Pexto.

Latest posts

Group Builder