• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help With Sheet Metal Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMM_66

Hi Group,
I have a question that someone might help me with maybe :confused: ? I have aquired a set of spars completed for a Hummelbird. They are 6061T6 angle with a .040" spar web in the center. The workmanship looks great, but the material that the spar webs are made of is an unidentifiable aluminum. I believe they may be 6061T6 instead of the material called out in the plans which is 2024T3 as the guy they came from used a lot of the 6061 in everything he did and had rolls of the stuff which I purchased. He's not around or I'd ask him and probably wouldn't have all this material I now have. The web parts are painted with zinc chromate and I can't find or see any marks on the metal to tell me what the web is made of. Is there any test to determine the type of metal without taking them all apart and redoing the center webs ? Any Help is appreciated . I also can get a small piece of the material from the lightening holes from the outer part of the spars if that would help ?
I would sure like to use these if possible as it would help me get on my gear quicker :D
Thanks

Back