• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Help please! Repairing carbon fiber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_limiter

Supporting Member
I have a repair issue on a carbon fiber bodied plane that I’m hoping to get some help thinking through. I dipped a wing on landing and scuffed the trailing edge of an aileron. There is an abraded area about four inches long by two inches wide where the weave is visible. The damage is only on the bottom side of the aileron and did not grind through to the other side. I have some basic experience working with fiberglass (but not on airplanes), so would like to get some advice on the best repair procedure.

I was thinking of fitting a foam sliver into the slight depression of the abraded area and then applying carbon fiber over it. Is this an acceptable fix, or is there a better way? Which epoxies do you recommend? How far beyond the abraded area should I put carbon fiber cloth to blend/strengthen the fix? What am I missing?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

(Btw, the plane is currently in annual inspection, so the spars are being looked at)

Back