help from Euro friends

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

harrisonaero

Need some advice. My wife and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary next early September with a two-week trip to Europe including a 105 mile hike of the Tour du Mont Blanc (TMB). I would like to make it a business trip for accounting purposes and would like some recommendations on *any* aviation related businesses in villages along the TMB. Airfields, aircraft manufacturers, parts manufacturers, homebuilders, repair shops, etc. Pretty much anything. The towns we'll be going through are as follows but if there's a town close by with bus or taxi service we'll be willing to visit there as well.

Les Houches
Les Contamines
Les Chapieux
Courmayeur
Ferret
Champex / Orsieres
Martigny (possibly)
Argentiere
Les Praz
Chamonix
St-Gervais-les-Bains (possible)

Suggestions and ideas?

Thanks so much and we look forward to visiting your neighborhood!

autoreply

Need some advice. My wife and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary next early September with a two-week trip to Europe including a 105 mile hike of the Tour du Mont Blanc (TMB). I would like to make it a business trip for accounting purposes and would like some recommendations on *any* aviation related businesses in villages along the TMB. Airfields, aircraft manufacturers, parts manufacturers, homebuilders, repair shops, etc. Pretty much anything. The towns we'll be going through are as follows but if there's a town close by with bus or taxi service we'll be willing to visit there as well.

Les Houches
Les Contamines
Les Chapieux
Courmayeur
Ferret
Champex / Orsieres
Martigny (possibly)
Argentiere
Les Praz
Chamonix
St-Gervais-les-Bains (possible)

Suggestions and ideas?

Thanks so much and we look forward to visiting your neighborhood!
Have a good look at my holiday pics (Facebook) from the last decade, this year the first week or so was spent in Chamonix and it seems that we have pretty similar preferences in leisure too.

I've spent a lot of time in that area. In hindsight probably about half a year of my life holidaying. Probably more tips than I could type up. If you feel like a call (Skype, Hangout, Whatsapp), just let me know.

Aerospace related;
Lisa Akoya is about an hour away, Lac Annecy I think.
Beringer is a bit further away, I think in Gap.
Flying sailplanes in the French Alps is a must. You might eat your passport and stay there though ;)
Munich is a flight away. The Deutsche Museum is absolutely worth it. Reserve two days though, one for the city center, the other for the aerospace site (in Garching).
Axalp. Not a clue when it takes place, but seeing jets a hundred feet passing by below is thrilling.

The Gorges south of Chamonix are gorgeous, almost fairy-like. Good half an hour by car, local busses run there too. Rental bike would work.
The pass between Chamonix and Courmayeur is amazing. (North-west of the Grand Bernard, forgot the name) The crossover from the Grand Bernard to that one is also pretty good.
The whole Monte Rosa massif (around the Matterhorn) is breathtaking on clear days. You can take the lift up to the small Matterhorn or hike up. The view over the Po plain is something you don't want to miss.

Here's a dozen pics to get you started:
https://www.facebook.com/jarno.nieuwenhuize/posts/10154382685783252
(Including an airplane pic...)

Two questions. Why on earth only two weeks. And why not have a short stop in the low countries :ban:

harrisonaero

Thanks for the advice Jarno, was hoping you would pipe up. We would love to spend more than two weeks but it's what we can fit between our kid's summer and school schedules.

The hike will be on trail circling Mt. Blanc and we'll stay in local places each night where we'll have dinner and breakfast. Only have to pack lunch and no cooking or sleeping equipment- big change from our normal backpacking. And since we're hiking all day- guilt-free cheese, wine, and good beer... so sweet. We have a couple zero days where we'll stay in towns all day so will probably try to explore some of the places you mentioned.

Do you happen to know the closest place to get tandem sailplane flights?

Mainly trying to research ahead of time the aircraft related businesses and activities in order to fit those in as we can.

Group Builder