• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Having an A&P Do Your Annual Condition Inspection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
Good day all,

I've had my eye on an experimental for sale recently. It's a nice plane, but of course, when you buy someone else's handiwork, you get the pleasure of taking it to an A&P for its annual condition inspection. There are plenty of stories about working with your mechanic to get an annual completed, but I'm curious what others' experience has been with this. I know we have at least a couple of A&Ps here, so especially happy to hear your input.

Cutting to the chase, I got my Maule out of annual last week and just received the invoice. Needless to say, I'm still a bit in shock. Granted, I know that my plane needed some expensive work done to it (exhaust rebuild/overhaul, spinner backplate needed weld repairs, new brakes, etc.) and it's certificated so I have that going for me. Next year's annual will probably be in the "normal" price range. But being certificated, the A&P needs to do the work (or oversee the owner-assisted annual), and an IA needs to sign it off.

So when it comes to having the annual condition inspection done on an experimental, does the A&P just give you a list of things discovered and the owner has the option of fixing them? What's the typical protocol there?

Appreciate your input,
Chris

Back