• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Have you used non-100LL fuels in your canard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtnelson

Supporting Member
Hi folks,

For those I haven't met, I'm Dave Nelson ... builder and long time pilot of N22DN, a standard-RG Velocity powered by a Lycoming IO-360. Before that I built and put around 1000 hours on a Continental O-200 powered Varieze (in addition to help build, fly and test fly most of the other canard types).

Last year I joined the EAA's Homebuilt Aircraft Council. For those of you that haven't ever heard of the HAC it's a very small team of homebuilders who try to guide EAA homebuilt activities. As a member of the HAC the subject of 100LL replacements has been a hot topic.

For most of the homebuilt world, compatibility of these fuels is an issue limited to the powerplant compatibility. For us, however, there may be significant other issues related to the fuel's compatibility with our fiberglass tanks and airframes. So, I volunteered to seek out any direct experience our community has had with non-100LL fuels - good and bad.

So, here's the ask: if you've had direct experience with any of these fuels, I'd much appreciate your direct feedback. To try to keep this study rational, please post as follows:
  • What type of fuel(s) have you used?
  • For how many hours?
  • With what type of aircraft and engine?
  • And what specific epoxy system or coating in your tanks?
  • Over how long of a period?
I'd really appreciate actual data and actual "field" experience. I know that these fuels are fairly new, and that actual experience may be limited... but I'd sure appreciate hearing what you can tell me.

Thanks much in advance!

Dave

Back