Have you seen the 'Sully' animation? Pretty cool..

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Midniteoyl, Jan 27, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

2. Jan 28, 2010 #2

vortilon

vortilon

vortilon

Not a bad recreation. I think he was just lucky and did not do anything any other pilot would not have done. As an Airline pilot once told me when I asked him if all that responsibility bothered him he reply " No I just try to save my own ass and everyone else will follow"

3. Jan 28, 2010 #3

Waiter

Waiter

Waiter

This is the first time I heard/read the CVR transcripts, very cool heads.

Waiter

4. Jan 28, 2010 #4

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

^^ Thats what I was thinking too.. the controllers were more freaked out than the pilots :)

5. Jan 28, 2010 #5

vortilon

vortilon

vortilon

Personally I don't know what all the hubbub is about when so many airline pilots do heroic things all the time and never get the attention this did. For example I know a retired Pan Am pilot that landed a 747 with no working ailerons just power, elevator and rudder. My dad has had many emergencies with TWA. Sully was in the spot light where he remains today. How about these guys? They demonstrated a much higher level of flying skill to keep this 707 in the air. They did not get the hubbub. I witnessed this when I was eight and the freeway picture was taken by my Dad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jan 28, 2010 #6

Waiter

Waiter

Waiter

Like Vortilon, I've also dealt with several dyer emergencies during my flying carrier.

In each of these emergencies, I (we) was so busy dealling with the emergency, I just didn't have time to ponder to graveness of the situation. (I think Pilots have a nack for staying focused, thats one of the criteria for being a pilot)

(NOTE _ I remember the Incident of the PanAm 707 that lost #4 engine (from Vortilons photo) I seem to recall this happened at San Fransisco (SFO) mid 60s???

It wasn't the fact that he lost the engine (happened all the time) but when the engine self distructed, seized, then departed the plane, it also damaged the wing to a point that 30 ft of the wing outboard of #4 pylon also seperated!! The plane landed over at Travis AFB

These miracles that could have ended differently occationally capture the hearts and minds of the media and the general public. I'm sure Sully would agree, there probably isn't a pilot in the fleet that would have handled the situation any differently, and probably would have had the exact same outcome. However, It was Sully's day in the left seat, he just happen to be in the right place at the wrong time.

Job Well Done!!!

Waiter

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  7. Jan 28, 2010 #7

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target

vortilon, also, how old are those stories/pictures? It's not like they could get the hubbub today, since it looks like that stuff happened in the 60s, and I doubt they could have gotten any press back then, because the news organizations weren't so big and the culture was significantly different (less alarmist for sure). It also helped that this emergency happened right in the middle of NYC, one of the most populace centers in the world.

8. Jan 28, 2010 #8

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Wasnt trying to compare what Sully did to what others have done... just thought it was one of the better animations of the (short) flight.

9. Jan 28, 2010 #9

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target

On that note, yea, it was a really nifty video. :)

10. Jan 28, 2010 #10

vortilon

vortilon

vortilon

It was 1965 at SFO.

Sully did a great job as well as the rest of his crew. I was amazed at how long that airplane floated. An all metal aircraft would have been a submarine in short order.

11. Jan 28, 2010 #11

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

All that fuel volume does float and a pressurized fuselage can stand a bit of water if the doors aren't swallowing water right?

12. Jan 28, 2010 #12

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Another amazing flying feat was the one that crashed in Sioux City, Iowa years ago. In particular, the dead-heading captain on the throttles was highly responsible for keeping the plane flying and steering it to their landing. The fact that they crashed was unfortunate and largely unavoidable. The fact that the crew was able to get the plane down at an airport with so many survivors was the real miracle and a testament to their skills and cool-headedness.