Hauling Suggestion Needed

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

1Bad88

I am traveling to pick up a Falcon XP this weekend and am looking for suggestions on a way to haul it home (3 hours). The wings are pretty long so I'm thinking it will take a box truck since rental trailers only go to 12 feet. What suggestions do people have for this trip?

tralika

Box truck is your best bet. U-haul trucks have anchor points on inside walls that makes it easy to pad and secure a wing on each side. Fuselage in the middle. You can rent furniture pads from U-haul for a lot less than you can buy them. Renting a truck might not be the cheapest option but it will be the safest.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The big box trucks have suspensions designed to carry thousands of pounds, and you would be putting a 250 pound airplane in it. So the ride back there in a typical 20 foot box truck will be like sitting on top of a jackhammer... no softness and no cushion. Horrible on airplanes!

So whatever you do DO NOT lash or bolt the airplane down hard to the truck. Put the airplane parts on big piles of moving blankets, or many inches of soft foam. Only put ropes or straps where they keep the airplane parts from sliding into the walls. But make it so the jackhammering of the box floor does not get to the airplane parts.

A single axle lightweight box trailer (like a glider trailer but taller) would be the best thing if you can find one.

1Bad88

Box truck is your best bet. U-haul trucks have anchor points on inside walls that makes it easy to pad and secure a wing on each side. Fuselage in the middle. You can rent furniture pads from U-haul for a lot less than you can buy them. Renting a truck might not be the cheapest option but it will be the safest.
U-Haul blanket rentals are pretty reasonable. I'm thinking the 24' box truck is probably the way to go; will have to find some planks for the wheels to roll on to load and unload.

dog

get the truck+3 hrs + 3hrs+ fueling+ food+ loading+ this+ that+ unloading+drop the truck
thats a squeeky tight day, you got a steady
hand helper?,that will make all the difference.

1Bad88

get the truck+3 hrs + 3hrs+ fueling+ food+ loading+ this+ that+ unloading+drop the truck
thats a squeeky tight day, you got a steady
hand helper?,that will make all the difference.
Excellent insight! I plan on driving 3 hours the night before. Truck rental is 2 days anyways. There will be 2 - 3 people on hand to help load/unload. This forced me to look at the hours of operation for the facilities and they are all closed on Sundays so I guess I will have to pick up a truck on Friday, return on Monday.

djmcfall

List of items to take when heading out to transport an aircraft.
1. Assorted ratchet straps, tie downs, bungees and rope.
2. Duct tape and cheap electrical tape. Assorted tie wraps.
3. Assorted scrap lumber and a couple 2x4s, 6to8 ft long.
4. Cordless screw gun, wood saw and drill with bits. Charged up.
5. Assortment of construction (grabber) screws.
6. Red flag at least 16”x16” (if using an open flat bed trailer).
7. Padding material and a few card board boxes with packing tape.
8. Mattress and/or pillows (old soft dog beds work great.
9. Your regular traveling tool kit with assortment of tools. (Hammer)
10. Bottled water in a cooler. (Loading can be a demanding job.)

Ask me how I came up with this list. Have hauled my share of airplanes, light sport and experimental and numerous helicopters, good and crashed. Stop and check load securement 5 miles out, then ever time you stop. If you may have a overhang, pick up a set of Harbor Freight magnetic temporary trailer lights to mount on rear along with red flag.

Attachments

djmcfall

Ask me how I came up with this list. Have hauled my share of airplanes, light sport and experimental and numerous helicopters, good and crashed. Stop and check load securement 5 miles out, then ever time you stop. If you may have a overhang, pick up a set of Harbor Freight magnetic temporary trailer lights to mount on rear along with red flag.

Attachments

Bill-Higdon

Looks like a remains of a Hiller

TFF

I think you got it backwards; the helicopter should have been poured in the back of your truck and the wings put on the trailer. I have only had to trailer two helicopters and one didn’t need it until the FAA showed up.

1Bad88

Once I get it home, I'm thinking of building a trailer based on this kit from Northern Tool. Extending it with aluminum channel, adding some wing holders, moving the rear axle back to balance the load. Then I believe I can build a frame for a canopy so the sun stays off the fabric. Is this a workable plan?

Last edited:

dave wolfe

My local equipment rental place has an 8.5 x 20 enclosed trailer i use to move my sonex project around.

Aeroboi

I am traveling to pick up a Falcon XP this weekend and am looking for suggestions on a way to haul it home (3 hours). The wings are pretty long so I'm thinking it will take a box truck since rental trailers only go to 12 feet. What suggestions do people have for this trip?
I bought a cheap block and tackle off ebay or Amazon can't remember. I was able to hook it to the overhead frame and lift the legal eagle fuse and engine up to the back deck of the box truck by myself