Hauling Suggestion Needed

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

1Bad88

No, I decided to pass on it. The inner wall of the pod had separated from the outer wall. Someone had fixed it but it separated again. I figured it would have to be cut back all the way to the rear seat bulkhead and then repaired.

rv7charlie

Don't know why I didn't think to mention this earlier. Just about anything can be made to work in a lot of situations. Ever heard of a Toyota FX16?

I hauled a Dragonfly from Michigan to MS with one (two trips). Fuselage came home on a locally 'shop built' 4' x 8' trailer built to haul lawn mowers around.
Wing & canard came home on roof racks on the top of the car. Had to duck & lean to see past the landing gear that was in front. Got stopped by a cop within about 5 blocks of the airport. No ticket; I think he just wanted to see what that fool had put on top of his car.

The car (5 spd manual) normally got ~33 mpg on the highway @ 75-80 mph. The trip home with the load on the roof yielded ~16 mpg, all the way in 4th gear because I couldn't get over about 50 mph in 5th. I could get up to about 60-65 in 4th.

Wish I'd thought to get photographic evidence, but it was before cell phones...

challenger_II

Sorry it didn't work out for you, I was contemplating going to have a look. Pleased I saved the trip, now.

No, I decided to pass on it. The inner wall of the pod had separated from the outer wall. Someone had fixed it but it separated again. I figured it would have to be cut back all the way to the rear seat bulkhead and then repaired.

1Bad88

Sorry it didn't work out for you, I was contemplating going to have a look. Pleased I saved the trip, now.
I tried to talk myself into it for 2 hours. I had a trailer and everything but in the end I tried to make a rational decision. I figured already it would take about $8k to get back in the air before that repair so the additional work took it well beyond market value.

I figure whomever bought it probably wouldn't care and fly it anyways. I'm just picky on the end result of my projects.

challenger_II

Especially the one's we strap on, and go fly in! :)

I tried to talk myself into it for 2 hours. I had a trailer and everything but in the end I tried to make a rational decision. I figured already it would take about $8k to get back in the air before that repair so the additional work took it well beyond market value.

I figure whomever bought it probably wouldn't care and fly it anyways. I'm just picky on the end result of my projects.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
1bad88, as much as you anguished over this, if you were considering this project as your "daily flyer", you made the right decision to pass.

If you happen to have a flying airplane back home already (like those of us in the more advanced, tragic stages of addiction)... then you can go off and rescue derelict airplanes, finish half-built projects, etc.

But my advice is at all costs to not fall into the trap of a cheap project that "I can get flying in a month". Get something that you can fly immediately, regardless of what it looks like, and you can spiff it up and do cosmetics while you are flying.

1Bad88

1bad88, as much as you anguished over this, if you were considering this project as your "daily flyer", you made the right decision to pass.

If you happen to have a flying airplane back home already (like those of us in the more advanced, tragic stages of addiction)... then you can go off and rescue derelict airplanes, finish half-built projects, etc.

But my advice is at all costs to not fall into the trap of a cheap project that "I can get flying in a month". Get something that you can fly immediately, regardless of what it looks like, and you can spiff it up and do cosmetics while you are flying.
Thank you VB

This would have been a 6 to 9 month project for me. I am a member of one of the local gliding clubs so I get in the air frequently. This affords me the latitude to pick up a project that needs some work without rushing to the finish line. I like having things to work on as a hobby that I can take the time and mold to fit my vision.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The last time I saw N824T, a 1978 or 79 Mini-Nimbus, was in Uvalde TX many years ago. So apparently it went to Texas at some point, two or three owners after me. I have no idea if it's still in TX, but if you ever happen to run across that old ship sitting at a gliderport, maybe give it a kiss on the nose for me as a favor.

challenger_II

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Oh no... that's truly depressing. Well, maybe it's owned by someone in Steel-town but the airplane is out running the ridges in upstate PA. One can hope.

TFF

I think every pod on those things have popped apart. They are all 40 years old. Not an indictment just aging aircraft syndrome.