Quantcast

Got my first airplane!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Nilsen

Hey Everyone.
I've been away for a while. I sure like the Homebuilt 2.0 thing but thats old news for you all now. Had a weird winter. Getting over a divorce. Tried to do some winter soaring but no go on account of bad snow plow.

Spring soaring season is slow to come to the North East but I paid for this little darlin' today. (picture below because I can't figure out how to put it here -x- ). I take delivery in about a week.:ban: I do believe she's a fine looking bird.

She's not a homebuilt but I'll be able to poke around her and I think she might keep me busy for a while. :gig:

For those of you who don't recognize the aircraft, it is a Schleicher Ka-6CR. It has a 15 meter span, a 31:1 L/D and it's made of wood with a little fabric cover. These ships are from the early 1960s. A classic sailplane.

Attachments

orion

For being wood and fabric, that sure is a pretty airplane. Almost a composite quality finish. As an old mentor of mine used to say "Thermals forever!"

Nilsen

Thanks for the nice comments gentlemen.

The plane has a bare plywood cockpit so I spent the last weeks getting that sorted out with a nice thick piece of 'Comfor Foam' and a National 360 parachute. The bird is being delivered (I hope) this weekend on account of bad weather and no hangar space until now.

Yes Orion, she does look like a glass bird. Many people have said that about the Ka-6. You probably already know this but only the last third(ish) of the wings and ailerons are fabric only. The rest is fabric over plywood. I got to see a neglected Ka-6 fuselage a few months ago. All the fabric was gone. I could see how it was built. Many long narrow strips of ply were laid along the fuselage then sanded to give the ship it's beautiful rounded shape. So much labour went into these aircraft. It's just incredible. I feel like I've been entrusted with something from an era that will not be repeated. I'm really looking forward to flying her.