• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Going Fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucker

Supporting Member
Ed Fischer has been trying (for years) to revive Formula Vee racing. For those who don't know the history, Formula Vee racing is the reason John Monnett designed the original Sonerai I. Had it not been for the lure of inexpensive aircraft racing, we would not have the machine we love.

Unfortunately, the road to revival has been muddy and bumpy.

I am starting this thread to see how many of our Sonerai builders/fliers are interested in going fast...in some form of competition. Although pylon racing is the ultimate goal, there are many ideas floating around that would allow you to compete on a course around your home airport all by your lonesome. Using the GPS tracking devices on the market, you could map your own course and submit your results for monthly, quarterly, or annual competitions (and maybe even a trophy). Getting more aircraft built to go fast and pilots who want to fly them just might lead to very exciting pylon racing in the future...but we must walk before we can run.

Is anyone game? or just curious?'

All the best,
Chucker

Thanks for starting this thread Chucker. With Supervee I planned two immediate competitions, the 'Challenge' and the 'Outback'....In order to logically walk before you run, the Challenge competition is a timed speed run, one airplane at a time, for a half mile straight. For the Outback, I planned a ten to fifteen mile sprint, around a landmark, then return to airport. This would be done with four to six airplanes at a time, with the slowest airplane first, and a 20 second stagger in depart time, for safety. So far after ten years, there has been little interest from the majority. If we could pull these events off, These competitions would then lead the way to eventual Pylon Racing.......

I'd be interested in this but my plane is dog slow! It'd give me a kick in the pants to get it cleaned up and lightened up.

Supervee has four sonerai 2's with race numbers assigned. There are so many flying '2's out there that I expect this number to rise......

Come on out, folks! Start slow and get faster. We are not racing for pink slips...just having some fun.

My number is 66 and I plan to be flying before Oshkosh. What is your number/plan??????

Maybe I'll take 99 so it will be 66 when inverted. Also trying to be done by Oshkosh, had to spend to much time cutting off, straightening,welding to many parts from the original build. Just finished the new spar carry-thru, (thanks Chucker). So the race is on for Oshkosh

Back