FW190 Replica Kits

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by theedmancometh, Jul 15, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 15, 2012 #21

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Yeah, but look at the circumstances under which the originals were built and you'll see why your argument is invalid in any other setting.

2. May 15, 2012 #22

4trade

4trade

4trade

Our modern oil is biggest factor why engines last longer. Those wartime engines was well build and they use good materials too.

3. May 15, 2012 #23

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

I will concede that point.

Not at the end of the war they weren't. I grew up around a lot of the guys who tested the captured stuff at Freeman Field here in Indiana. The metallurgists apparently used to freak at the material substitutions the war time shortages necessitated. The designs were exceptional but the actual production faltered because of the effects of the Allied bombing campaigns (among other things) which severely hindered the availability of the called for materials.

4. May 16, 2012 #24

Round Engines

Round Engines

Round Engines

It's interesting to note that the majority of AN-2 crashes were not actually due to engine failure but bad weather and other factors. I guess the engines are 'cheap' or affordable due to more engines available now than airframes. Still a lot of HP for the money. Just my 2 c's worth.

5. May 22, 2012 #25

Spinnetti

Spinnetti

Spinnetti

where's the delete button?

6. May 22, 2012 #26

Spinnetti

Spinnetti

Spinnetti

Nice accomplishment, but kinda nutty if you think of it - Make a replica of the inline version and power it with a radial?

I keep hoping in vain for somebody to do a full monococqe replica in 80% ish size that could take a Rotec or even a MP 14..... I don't have the necessary skills to scratch build one I don't think, but I keep thinking about it. Tempted to use a RV8 as a baseline and build something in the same style of construction with a Rotec. At worse, just build a fastback RV8 with a 190 style canopy and tail group [​IMG]

7. May 28, 2012 #27

luftwicker07

luftwicker07

luftwicker07

Powerplant is the most difficult decision of a build. I'm building a 1:1 scale FW-190, and the powerplant alone is what's going to hold up the build. AsH-82T? R-2800? R-1830-94? R-1820-86B? The options are out there, but reliability is a MUST. The best engine, in my research, has been the AsH-82T, which was modelled after the BMW-801. The issue is how scarce they are, as well as serviceable parts. R-2800's are great, but guzzle fuel beyond my paycheck, and the weight is nuts. R-1820-86B's are high horsepower for their weight, highest in the series. But they aren't as reliable as one would like. And the R-1830-94 is the highest horsepower, and most reliable of the series. But not as high horse as the 1820-86B, nor R-2800 or AsH-82. It's give and take, and a nightmare to try to decide. Having said that, does anyone know where I can find a serviceable R-1830 core, that won't break the bank? Just the core. Not the entire $80,000 engine. :nervous:

8. May 28, 2012 #28

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Talk to the folks at Covington Aircraft Engines. They are predominately a P&W turbine shop but rumor has it they are well positioned for the radial side of stuff as well.

9. May 29, 2012 #29

fadec

fadec

fadec

I suspect there are still a number of engines and parts out there - you just have to know who to ask.

As far as tracking down an ASh-82T goes its worth noting they were built under license in Czechoslovakia (Dimitrov) as the M-82T and in China (Dongan) as the HS-8 (from memory that is what most Flugwerk 190s have). Have you asked Flugwerk who their supplier was? Other places to enquire at would be people in the US or Europe who import M14 engines, Yak airframes, Nanchang airframes etc
    For example:
    CJ6 PARTS
    Coy Aircraft Sales, Ltd.
    Russian aircraft for sale in the West
    I'm sure one of them could rustle something up.

The ASh-82 (M-82) was a development of the M-81, which was a development of the M-80, which was a development of the M-25, which was a licensed copy of the Wright R-1820-F3 circa 1933. Development of the -82 was finished early 1940, about the same time the BMW 801 went into production, so to say the former is derived from the later is questionable though they may have copied some features in the post war models. You might be confusing it (the 801) with the vaugely related BMW 139 which was vaugely related to the BMW 132 which was developed from BMW license built P&W R-1690 circa 1928.

I would avoid the R-2800 in a Fw-190. The BMW cooling setup was quite advanced for its time and they managed to squeeze a lot of engine into a small cowl. There is a Flugwerk aircraft in the US with a R-2800 and has had ongoing problems with cooling, not to mention the fact it just looks wrong.

Have you considered the P&W R-2000? Its essentially a big bore R-1830 - 1350hp on 100 octane fuel and about 600lbs lighter than a BMW 801. Perhaps a better choice than a highly strung R-1820. Talk to Anderson Aeromotive in Idaho.

10. May 29, 2012 #30

fadec

fadec

fadec

Like the ASh-82, the M-62 was also derived from the M-25 engine. They are still being built (albeit in small numbers) in Poland as the ASz-62IR, TBO is 1200hrs and are even type certified. There are a number of DH Otters flying around with them in Canada and it is my understanding they had a pretty good reputation in the AN-2 (at least as far as the Russians were concerned). Would make a nice match for a Jurca MJ80 1:1 scale Fw190.

11. May 29, 2012 #31

4trade

4trade

4trade

This kind of replica life span is usually few hundred hours, and fuel consumption is so high that cost of engine is almost irrelevant. These Russian radials have lot of engine for this kind of replica at reasonable price.

50-80 gallon/ hour will cost a lot for 500 hour flying period. That gasoline cost same for 500 hour, than building whole Fw 190 by Jurca plans.

12. Jul 13, 2012 #32

Battson

Battson

Battson

Is that the same one that crashed here last month?
    (during a ferry flight right after being sold/bought, no one was killed thank goodness, and the airframe looked salvagable).

Attached the photos of the plane that crash landed You can see he missed sheds, power lines and trees to land in the ditch before the house. Very lucky / skilled PIC.
    Plane Back.jpg Plane Front.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. Jul 26, 2012 #33

Battson

Battson

Battson

Crunch

14. Jul 27, 2012 #34

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds

Head in the clouds

Am I missing something here? We're talking about the AN-2 Russian engine? In which case how did allied bombing affect the production of it? Last time I looked the Russians were part of the allies, and in which case why were your chaps capturing their stuff?

Or was there a German AN-2 engine?

Regarding your statement about the Russian 'Soviet era engines etc' the radial Terry has in his 190 is an absolute work of art. Running, it makes the sweetest music and it's the same engine as in the Yak52 and similar.

15. Jul 27, 2012 #35

flyvulcan

flyvulcan

flyvulcan

Hi Battson,

The unfortunate NZ based FW190 is a WAR 1/2 scale and not the Jurca.

Cheers

16. Oct 29, 2012 #36

flywulf

flywulf

flywulf

This is definatey not the jurca 190D built by Gille Kupfer. This is a war repica.

Ed

17. Oct 29, 2012 #37

4trade

4trade

4trade

We was talking original German engine at that point you take quote...

18. Jun 28, 2015 #38

Kazansky22

Kazansky22

Kazansky22

Hello, I know its an old thread, but I have done searching high and low, looking for an all metal FW190 75%ish kit, No luck, it seems none exist. The closest thing out there is the Jurca 75% which are plans and not a kit. And is metal or wood fuselage and wooden wings as far as I can tell.

Are there all metal versions of the Jurca FW190 75% plans? Or does anyone know of a kit out there that is about 75% scale?

I'm not really interested in using wood as I have zero experience with it, and with as opposed to metal I at least have familiarity with working with it.

19. Jun 28, 2015 #39

4trade

4trade

4trade

No. All Jurca plans are wood aircraft and some of them are design with 4130 tube fuselage option.

20. Aug 24, 2015 #40

Holtzy3

Holtzy3

Holtzy3

Funny... I was just running some very very basic numbers on an all metal 75-80% scale 190.... We'll see when I actually have time to do something about it...