Quantcast

Forum made EFI?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jbiplane

rusEFI is not aware of you being involved with microRusEFI in any capacity
ОК, I will concentrate on my completelly original PCB and Speeduino based. No more atempts made RusEFI derivatives.

I used 5 your PCBA in my projects and it was positive experience. First one used on Honda 3cylinder India, 4 others on hoverboards. Nothing in aviation UAVs or around.

Last edited:

rusefi

Kind of goes against the purpose and spirit of Open Source, GNU, Copyleft? :confused:
I am not sure I follow. Making factually incorrect statements is not part of the Open Source and GNU to the best of my knowledge. Falsely claiming contributions and/or participation is not part of the Open Source and GNU to the best of my knowledge. Derived products are totally fine as long as the separation of contributions is transparent, AND license is being followed. Yesterday rusEFI has switched from GNU 3 to GNU 3 with additional prohibition of manned aircrafts see rusefi/rusefi

gojackets

Go to the RusEFI page, read their interaction with customers/users. You can probaby tell already, based on the posts here, how that goes.
What I think you might be missing is that rusEFI isn't exactly a company that's out to make a profit - it's more like a group of friends (started by one guy) who built an ECU for fun and wanted to share the love to other people to hack on it too. Community support has and always will be available for free, whether that's on the forum or slack.

1:1 personal support or custom code being written for a particular application (if and only if there isn't also community interest!) is the part that's $90/hr or whatever.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
What I think you might be missing is that rusEFI isn't exactly a company that's out to make a profit - it's more like a group of friends (started by one guy) who built an ECU for fun and wanted to share the love to other people to hack on it too. Community support has and always will be available for free, whether that's on the forum or slack.

1:1 personal support or custom code being written for a particular application (if and only if there isn't also community interest!) is the part that's $90/hr or whatever.
"Sharing the love"? Yeah, that's what I'm seeing in their comments here-- lots of sharing and lots of love.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
What I think you might be missing is that rusEFI isn't exactly a company that's out to make a profit - it's more like a group of friends (started by one guy) who built an ECU for fun and wanted to share the love to other people to hack on it too.
Not out to make a profit? By the time they had 3 posts, one of them was to tell folks where to buy their stuff.

rv7charlie

rusefi,

Perhaps you should take a hint from [take your pick from dozens of mfgrs & vendors], and just say 'not for aviation' in your 'mission statement' or whatever, and don't sweat it. That's certainly what Facet does with their 'cube pumps'. The warning is in the box, but the box comes with carb'd finish kits from Van's Aircraft.

If liability scares you, you might want to stay out of the USA market completely, because if someone has a brother-in-law that's an 'ambulance chaser' and has a flat tire while running your system on a car or 4 wheeler, you'll probably be sued. If your business has assets he can find, that is. (hint hint)

rusefi

rv7charlie, thank you for the great response. While rusEFI is an LLC registered in New Jersey, USA, the risks are just not worth it.

rusefi/rusefi explicitly prohibits manned aircraft use as of yesterday. It was a mistake for me to link to a store where automotive hardware could be purchased.

Vigilant1, I assume you have no idea how much human hours were invested into rusEFI development and what is the rate for US-based HW and SW engineers. It shows total lack of judgement to put works "profit" and "rusEFI" into the same sentence in my opinion.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
rv7charlie, thank you for the great response. While rusEFI is an LLC registered in New Jersey, USA, the risks are just not worth it.

Vigilant1, I assume you have no idea how much human hours were invested into rusEFI development and what is the rate for US-based HW and SW engineers. It shows total lack of judgement to put works "profit" and "rusEFI" into the same sentence in my opinion.
Of course I have no idea of the rusEFI financials, or whether rusEFI LLC intends to earn a profit. I only see what you do here and on your own forum. But if the >intent < is to not earn a profit, then a 501c3 would be the more conventional legal form of the business. If rusEFI LLC exists to make a profit, then I'm sorry that hasn't worked out.

The thread was started to discuss experimental aircraft EFI, and it is clear you want no part of that, even indirectly.

I'm ready to let this go, hoping you are, too.

Last edited:

jbiplane

I concentrating on lightweight bolt on kits which would be installed instead of definite carbutetors+magneto.
At moment this solution testing on chinese clones of Yamaha outboard 9...40 hp engines.
Next challenge paramotors - Walbro WB37

If there are concern related Megasquirt, RusEFI, Speeduino and other "amateur" PCB on serious crafts than:
exist one cheap and legal way widelly used in Russia.
Use industrial mass produced ~hundred thousands ECU like shown on photo.
Brand new cost ~100USD, but possible buy from car salvage even for 25USD.
Producer of this hardware Автокомпоненты, Итэлма, Itelma, комбинации приборов, эра глонасс, телематика, мультимедиа системы dont mind reprogramming their units, you just will loose warancy.
Says local airboat producers http://severboat.ru Купить аэролодку от производителя по выгодной цене, продажа аэролодок с доставкой по России и СНГ | Аэролодочный завод "Аэротрейд" had this permission and install this ECU on Honda and Toyota engines conversions.
Few local guys develop completelly open source software, somebody make proprietary reprogramming kits.

I believe In USA must be something similar and legal.

Last edited:

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
exist one cheap and legal way widelly used in Russia.
Use industrial mass produced ~hundred thousands ECU like shown on photo.
Brand new cost ~100USD, but possible buy from car salvage even for 25USD.
Same was done with D/B honda motors ecu, after some of ex workers leaked source code for it.. And hondata was born. 10-25 usd for industrial grade ecu.

But in my opinion - you do not need anything more than simplest solution like alpha/n or n only table for simplest aircraft aplication with fixed prop.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
And in my vison - carb replacements would be twin standalone fuel "magnetos" with pump-injector thing.. Anything more - and it is becomenig more complicated to be robust.

There are drip fuel delivery systems used for old lycomings... why not do same with efi ?

blane.c

HBA Supporter
And in my vison - carb replacements would be twin standalone fuel "magnetos" with pump-injector thing.. Anything more - and it is becomenig more complicated to be robust.

There are drip fuel delivery systems used for old lycomings... why not do same with efi ?
So would the pilot control the drip and the computer control the air?

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Drip controlled via needle valve, controlled via throttle position. Carb, but without suction.
This is how the Aerocarb and Revflow, children of the Posa carb, work. They are very simple and can work fine on gravity feed, very little chance of icing (because no pressure drop through a venturi). The size and shape of the needle and its fitting in the orifice is critical, and can be fiddly to set up.