Fluting pliers.......

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Nickathome, Jul 15, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

I am attending the Sonex workshop this October. In their list of tools to bring they mention fluting pliers. So, I begin to look on the net for a pair. My God, almost $40.00 for a pair of vice grips with pins welded on. So guess what, out to the garage I go and in ten minutes I welded up my own using an old pair of V grips I had lying around and some 3/16ths steel pin. Somebody told me I probably could borrow a pair from somebody while there which I could I guess. I'd rather somebody see mine and say "hey did you make them?". Yes sir and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. No offense but some of those tool specialty outfits are ripping people off. And its not just in the aircraft industry. I've seen the same thing in the automotive tool catalogs. I'll always make my own tool if I can save a buck. This thing will get used once or twice then get tossed into the back of the drawer never to see the light of day again anyway, so why spend tons of cash that you don't have to. ​

Thanks for listening to my little rant. ​

2. Jul 15, 2010 #2

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

I agree. The price they want for tools are unbelievable. I'm a auto technician and if i bought one of those everytime the manual said i needed it i would need a wherehouse for a toolbox. Most of the jobs can be done by modifying some other tool i already have or just use my noggen to get around it. I took an A&P class for a couple semesters at a night college. One other the first things we did was build a tool for tightening guide wires. The instructor said we needed to learn how to make tools rather than buy them.

skeeter

3. Jul 15, 2010 #3

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That's one of the differences between a a Mechanic and a Service Technician. One actually knows how to fixes things. Not much call for that skill today :dead:

4. Jul 16, 2010 #4

Bart

Bart

Bart

Or, use JB Weld and glue the fittings on el cheapo 25 cent :beer:pliers from a garage sale.

5. Jul 16, 2010 #5

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    I just used some welding filler rod and duct tape to make my fluting pliers.

Shannon.

6. Jul 17, 2010 #6

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

I would like to see pictures of that! :grin:

7. Jul 17, 2010 #7

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Might have to take some then... works pretty well considering.

Shannon.

8. Jul 17, 2010 #8

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Here is my take on DIY fluting pliers. Obviously you need some pliers to start with. The welding rod is 1/8". One piece is bet into a 'U' shape and the nose filed off to allow it to reach further into the flange when fluting. The other short length I filed the nose round and added some taper to shape the flute. Works really well and the tape stops any scratches on the aluminium.

The pliers are easily reusable although I have plenty of spare one around. If you find out a cheaper way let me know... or not :gig::gig::gig:

Shannon.

Attached Files:

9. Jul 19, 2010 #9

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

Hey, that will probably work just as well as any other. In my case I like to weld, have the welder, and the excess material. My pair looks identical to the pair I found online, save the welds aren't as pretty because I mig'd them instead of a nice clean Tig weld. Either way I still saved myself about $40 bucks.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  10. Jul 22, 2010 #10

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

Thanks, now I know how to make this without spending much, Much appreciated!