• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

flap/aileron likage: Radiator position/cooling ducts: Kevlar; lightning strikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Guys,
Just learning how to do this so I can hopefully tap into the wealth of wisdom on this GREAT site.
We are just starting a 4-place version of Steve Rahn's "Vision" & would greatly appreciate comments on the following:-

1/. Can anyone provide info. on a flap/aileron linkage which will do the following:- Lower slotted flaps & (slotted), ailerons together to 10 & 20deg., then leaving ailerons there, lower flaps to 30 & 40deg. Also reflex both flaps & ailerons to 5 & 10deg.?
I believe there was a STOL conversion for Cessna singles which did this but I have never seen any drawings. Also, in 1937 the Airspeed A.S. 39 & the General Aircraft G.A.L. 39 "Fleet Shadower", both used this system to stall below 35kts. & cruise at 38!!!. Lift Coefficient was ~3.5. Both had 4 engines!.

2/. Any thoughts on the lowest drag radiator position & ducts?. My reading to date suggests the best system would mount the largest area radiator possible (hence thinnest core), in the rear fuselage. The smallest inlet area (25-30% of rad. area), would then be possible if the inlet duct is at least 2.5 times as long as the max. rad. dimension. Exit duct can then taper to an exit area 78% of inlet area. Anyone know if all this is correct? If not,- then what would be better?. Sources of information?.

3/. To save weight could Style 500 Kevlar be directly substituted for Style 7725 Bidirectional e-glass as called up inb the plans? Would you believe NO info. is available from DuPon(Australia)????.All "experts" & academics here advise against but mainly on the basis of it's "user-unfriendliness". Jack Lambie's book "Composites For HomebuiltAircraft", shows photos of Kevlar gliders built by U.S college students.
I have read the Kevlar thread on the "Composites" forum.

4/. How big an issue is lightning-strike to composite aircraft?. What safegaurds can/should be built in?.

I hope I haven't outlived my welcome here & if not look forward to any comments.
Cheers, from malbo downunder.

Latest posts

Back