• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of home-built aviation.

Why support HomebuiltAirplanes.com?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.
    • Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Falconar Minihawk.....can anyone comment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwbdriver

Hello,
I am finalizing (and taking forever) my decision as to which bird to build. I think I like an all wood design, although tube and rag would be ok, too. I like the idea of a 2 place plane and the ideal candidate would have folding wings or at least easily detachable. That being said, I am absolutely fascinated with Falconar's Minihawk. I think it is a clone of a Gardan GY 20, although the windscreen seems quite a bit steeper on the Minihawk in addition to the non-conventional gear. It cannot be made with foldable or detachable wings, but not a real dealbreaker.

Does anyone here have any further knowledge of this bird or of Falconar in general? Once upon a time I dreamed of building their P-51, but it was never realized. I have heard good things about the quality of their plans, but there isn't much out there on the Minihawk.

What I would really like to do is hang a Rotec on the front and have an Aeronca LC look a like. THAT would be cool. But, I will likely have years before having to decide on a power plant.

Any insight or comments would be appreciated. I am a first time builder, but pretty good with woodwork and engines. I have a 4 car garage that I could dedicate half for the project. I also have an understanding wife (most important!!) and a young son that I would like to have involved as soon as he is old enough to hand me some tools.

Last edited:
Back