experimental exhibition to homebuilt?

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by plane1, Mar 10, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1

plane1

plane1

plane1

Please help. I have halfway purchased a german factory built airplane which is registered in the "experimental exhibition" category. I would like to know how to obtain an AWC in the "experimental homebuilt" category.

There are folks that have bought these planes and done some work on them and registered immediately with the FAA in the homebuilt category. But the problem is that the plane is already registered in exhibition how can I get this converted?

2. Mar 10, 2010 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I hope someone here can help you, but I think you are probably fighting an uphill battle. I don't know if you can de-register it and then start over following the path of one of the others you mentioned. Best to fully research this, though, before you take any action that can be costly or not easily undone.

Also, I would suggest getting as many of your ducks in a row as possible before taking this to the FAA. Don't want to shoot yourself in the foot by divulging more than is legally required. Plus, you will find that different offices seem to have different personalities... some will be more helpful and cooperative than others.

Out of curiosity, what type plane is it?

Bruce :)

3. Mar 10, 2010 #3

Waiter

Waiter

Waiter

In the past, I've registered many L39s in the Exhibition class. It really wasn't any more restrictive than the Amateur built class. There were a few hoops that needed to be jumped through.

If I recall, I had to submit an annual "Program Letter" to my FSDO telling them where I intended to exhibit the aircraft (every fly-in in the nation).

And, if I was operating outside my FSDO area, I needed to notify the receiving FSDO whenever I intended to operate in their FSDO area; simple, Fax a paper to the receiving FSDO that said I would be operating the aircraft between 1 Jan and 31 Dec in their area.

Check with your local FSDO or DAR for the current requirements.

Waiter

Waiter

4. Mar 10, 2010 #4

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

The answer is an absolute, unequivocal, no. The only way an airplane can be registered in experimental amateur built category is if you can show the FAA that you built it in accordance with the 51% rule. That obviously means the aircraft cannot have already existed as a complete aircraft. The FAA has cracked down on the abuse of the 51% rule with the latest rule changes and clarifications. The folks who did it in the past were probably bending this rule a lot and were part of the reason the FAA had to crack down.

5. Mar 10, 2010 #5

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

DJ is correct to the best of my knowledge. I misread the original post... missed the "factory" part.