Engines to replace the dominance of Rotax

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

EzyBuildWing

Sirocket ultralight had twin model-turbojets.....they'd power Facet Opel, no sweat!
Listen to the awesome sound....beats any "IC-recip-explosion engine".....
Take a look here:

Exian

"increases the efficiency of low power turbines by a factor of 2–3 "
Suggest looking at the publication date of the article.
I wouldn't hold my breath (or miss any meals, or any major life events) waiting for a 2-3 times efficiency improvement in small turbines.
;-)
Charlie
edit: Gotta love the cartoon character board of directors at Turbotech....
TURBOTECH is no april's fool joke.

They have a running prototype.

They have the back-up of SAFRAN : most of TURBOTECH staff worked for SAFRAN. SAFRAN decided that the personnal project these people were developing was so interesting that they asked them to create a separate company to developp this concept to its fullest.
SAFRAN builds the turbines of half the world Helicopters, so they know about this stuff.

TURBOTECH is honest about the compexity/cost of their product : 60 000€ for the 100hp turboprop for know. No lies about low cost for everyone

Replacing all Rotax 912S is probably too much of a dream, but they will have a real product on market in not such a distant future.
Most of Europe high performance ultralight manufacturers are in the process to install this engine on their plane.
a WT9 fitted with the 100hp would have been presented at AERO 2020...

Personnaly, their 55hp model with the 100hp reduction drive would interest me if under 20 000€ and fuel consumption / TBO is as they claim.

PMD

I won't get too excited about SAFRAN's involvement. Remember they had a run at building a diesel engine (SMA) that ended up unable to start in cold weather, slightly overweight and extremely expensive.

IF this was new turbine technology, I would be far more impressed, but IIRC, this was exactly what Chrysler was doing in the '60s building ceramic heat exchange discs to harvest energy from the exhaust and return it to the inlet charge. Good on the Turbotech guys for taking this to commercialization with today's materials.

With people balking at Rotax prices over $20 grand, I don't predict a rush to buy 100HP for $70k but if someone offered to give me one, I would build an airplane around it so fast it would make your head (and sure as heck MINE) spin.

PMD

I’ve been searching for current Rotax aircraft engine sales volume by year without success. Could you point me to that infirmation?

Thanks,

BJC
I wish I could. I am doing exactly that right now, and the only information I can find is some posted dealer retail prices and the Rotax announcement last year of their 50,000th 4 stroke engine delivery. There IS an engine code (I think even an entire engine section) in the data bank of public information for US registrations, but since I have no DBM programme or experience, I have yet to be able to extract that from those files.

Latest posts