Ducted fan aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

copec

Hey Malish, I started a diesel thread about 450hp+ truck diesels that appear to be aircraft compatible. You may be interested to take a look.

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/using-truck-diesels-for-beaver-type-large-bush-planes-perfect-match.32021/
This is pure thought experiment versus an actual suggestion, but he does have two fans, so two separate engines could be considered - although it would fundamentally change the airplane. There are a lot of 4 cylinder diesels.

Last edited:

RSD

This is pure thought experiment versus an actual suggestion, but he does have two fans, so two separate engines could be considered - although it would fundamentally change the airplane. There are a lot of 4 cylinder diesels.
With that fan diameter/required rpm for tip speed you could use Mazda rotary engines with direct drive

rv6ejguy

Diesels have poor power to weight ratios and low rpm capability plus fitting 2 in here would be virtually impossible. 2 flight qualified diesels would cost at least $100,000.

The bare LS engine, naturally aspirated, has a better than 1 to 1 power to weight ratio and is cheap as a crate engine. Malish made the best engine choice here IMO.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I have it on good authority that there multi-fuel engines are the future engines of choice for our aircraft.

Rotapower enginesEdit
The engines to be used are being developed by an affiliate Moller company called Freedom Motors.[10] They are Wankel engines branded "Rotapower" which have a direct drive to a propulsion fan.[11][12] Each fan is contained in Kevlar-lined housings which provide further protection for bystanders.[11] The Skycar has four nacelles, each with two computer-controlled Rotapower engines. All eight engines operate independently and, as demonstrated during a tethered flight, allow for a vertical controlled landing should any one fail.[11]

The Rotapower Wankel engine announced by Freedom Motors has the claimed ability to operate on any fuel[12] including, but not limited to, gasoline, diesel, methanol, and clean renewable ethanol. Earlier Rotapower models used gasoline. The Rotapower engine is based on a rotary engine developed by Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) in the 1970s.[13]

On November 1, 2013 Moller announced that the 530 cc Rotapower engine had achieved 102 horsepower (76 kW) using alcohol (ethanol) on their test stand, yielding an effective 3 horsepower per pound (5 kW/kg) of weight.[14]

Despite announcements since 2001[15] the Rotapower engine has never been mass produced. As of 2015, Moller claims to have a backlog of conditional orders and letters of intent for over 3.5 Million Rotapower Engines.
They would be flying today if Cessna, Beech, Cirrus, et al, had not conspired against Moller.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Has it? I must have missed the video - I looked back several pages and didn't see a flight. Did see a taxi test. . Can someone point me to the video if the flight(s)?
If you are referring to the PJ-II, I saw it fly at Sun n Fun a few years ago. Looked good, and looked like it flew good too. It will be interesting to learn the results of less drag and more weight from the new retract gear and paint job.

BJC

Malish

Is the intention to fly this plane?
This aircraft already flying(first flight March 2015) and in April 2016 was shown and flying at Sun and Fun in US. But that time aircraft has non retractable landing gear. Now it's has retracts. In August 2019 PJ-II "Dreamer" will be shown at International aero-space exhibition in Moscow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAKS_(air_show)
pIMG_0025 (Large).JPG pIMG_0033 (Large).JPG pIMG_0043 (Large).JPG pIMG_0050 (Large).JPG tmp_19215-aIMG_8919-1305321457.JPG pIMG_8984 (Large).JPG

Malish

Malish, you need to change your signature photo (avatar). New paint looks great. Must have taken some time to mask that.
Thanks, I will change avatar as soon as we finish paint aircraft. Today it's was clear coated. On Monday we'll unmask it and install all decals. after that it should look like "real" fighter jet.
All together, masking took us six days.

Malish

With that fan diameter/required rpm for tip speed you could use Mazda rotary engines with direct drive
First of all, we can't install piston engines in the air ducts, it's will spoil fan efficiency and induce more drag.
Second, this aircraft will become ME aircraft, right now it's can be flown by pilot with SE rating.

copec

Diesels have poor power to weight ratios and low rpm capability plus fitting 2 in here would be virtually impossible. 2 flight qualified diesels would cost at least $100,000.

The bare LS engine, naturally aspirated, has a better than 1 to 1 power to weight ratio and is cheap as a crate engine. Malish made the best engine choice here IMO.
I agree, but I enjoy thinking about things disconnected from actually implementing it. I know that probably drives some people a little crazy.

copec

First of all, we can't install piston engines in the air ducts, it's will spoil fan efficiency and induce more drag.
Second, this aircraft will become ME aircraft, right now it's can be flown by pilot with SE rating.
Could two four cylinder engines fit side by side in the engine compartment?