• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dreaming Newbie!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBones

First off: I'm not a pilot (yet) but recently stepped into an ultralight trainer which has re-awakened my dream of getting a pilot's license, which as it turns out is a feasible thing to do. Now with the new sport pilot's license for light aircraft, it opens up even more possibilities.

Nevertheless, I plan on pursuing this over the next year to come. I'm not planning on becoming a professional pilot or to use a personal aircraft for travel, but rather as a recreational means of escape! (i.e. instead of the obligatory Harley that everyone nowadays seems to buy).

At this point I'm at the obsessive stage of my dream: i.e. hours of cruising internet sites researching information on this! The first thing I'm interested in is in (other than flying!) the possibility of building an aircraft. I'm aware of the fact that buying is generally less hassle and often less expensive than building. My point in building an aircraft - if it turns out to be feasable for someone like myself - is that I enjoy the building process in and of itself. I'm also aware of the fact that these type of projects don't come or work with set deadlines.

One site that really got my attention was www.flyhummel.com - Their UltraCruiser seems to be quite a neat and affordable project. From what I can gather though, there've been builders having problems to fall under FAR103, i.e. it comes out to heavy. At this stage, the company still appears to be developing their line of products. Nevertheless, at $2,500 for the airframe kit, that's about as rock bottom as you can get.

I'm familiar with plywood, fiberglass, and epoxy construction - I just recently finished building a 16' center console boat The Building of the "Inshallah" . As you can imagine, I've done entirely enough sanding and breathing of epoxy dust to have lost some of its attraction! ;)

That said, I've never worked with aluminum, rivets, welding, etc. Personally, I feel confident enough that I can get a good grip on the construction procedures of this (I thought building a boat was difficult before I realized it's within 'normal' peoples reach!). So, I don't mind trying something new at all!

Another ultralight is the The Dream Classic from Airdrome Aeroplanes. Also something that appears feasible. I like the all round view you get with it, although all the wires holding it together scare me a bit.

Now, my question is: Is it a feasible thing for a newbie like myself to start off with a taildragger ultralight (either the UltraCruiser of the Dream Classic)? It appears as if controlling these aircraft on take-off and landing can be somewhat tricky. I found a good website on this here: http://www.taildraggers.com/Documentation.aspx

I've also looked at the Affordaplane, but there aren't enough out there flying yet. It's still a bit 'unproven' for my taste.

Even though I'm still several years away from starting such a project, I hope you don't mind me intruding with this type of 'newbie' question here.

Good flying and building to you all!
Stefan

Last edited:
Back