• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Double bias glassfibre

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I was planning on using two layers of 8-harness satin weave e-glass cloth to laminate my fuselage. These plies would have to be cut so that the weave was at 45 deg. Weight: 296gm each.

However, my supplier also has double bias e-glass cloth, where the threads are already at 45 deg and stiched together. Weight: 600gm

Question: Working on the assumption that at least two layers of cloth are required, would it be sensible/possible to use a single layer of double-bias cloth rather than two of the satin-weave? If my understanding is correct, since the double-bias cloth is already oriented on the 45 degrees angle, there is going to be much less wastage when cutting the cloth?

Regards,
Duncan

Back