Quantcast

Do Free Image Hosting Sites Exist Anymore?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
With the loss of Tinypic, my ability to post pictures on various boards has disappeared. Im looking to upload, copy the link with the "IMG" code, then make my mark in any BB that allows it. I thought PhotoBucket was the functional replacement for Tinypic, but apparently the ability to share with a third party (such as a forum), requires a subscription.

I don't do this often enough to give out my CC info for a monthly fee, I don't want to have it tied to my Google or other "cloud" nonsense, and I'm willing to suffer through some pop up ads (though Tinypic was REALLY bad at the end).

Is there anything available anymore?

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
And these mentioned sites allow images to appear directly into a post vs. a reader having to click a link?

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Nope, for that you have to cut and paste in situ. I pretty much store everything I intend to use on DB anymore. $100/year for a couple TB. Can share lots of hi res for projects and lots of CAD and only have to send links or share with participants. Much cleaner doesn't waste bandwidth until you want to actually view.

narfi

Log Member
Both of those gifs are hosted here on homebuiltairplanes

testing if I can post your one from imgur without it being saved here,

narfi

Log Member
ok now im super confused.... i think maybe the forum here just automatically downloads any images you use and hosts them locally, because it did the same to mine.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It didn't do that on all my Tinypic links in my "SDS EFI Rocket" thread... Why now?

gtae07

And these mentioned sites allow images to appear directly into a post vs. a reader having to click a link?
Google does, it's just a convoluted process. My build thread on VAF has most of the pictures updated to Google hosting.

The process goes something like upload, view image in Google, right click and select view image, then copy the URL from there. It does give you a convenient way to scale large photos down too--I upload at full resolution and scale down the inline image for posts.

Richard Schubert

There are several link options on imgur, one is labeled forum. If you copy paste that it gets the image here somehow through the magic of the internet. :pilot:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well, signed up for imgur and all I could find was endless strings of memes and gifs. Looked like YouTube threw up on my phone. Deleted that account as quickly as I could. On to Google, I guess.

I don't like the idea of any image being tied to my email or other account. I don't mind hanging an image out there for all to see as long as it's "anonymous" (if that even exists anymore).

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, this software will go out and grab the photo you hyperlink because lots of times people will post non-SSL images and it will make the browser non-secure. You can post photos directly here too and HBA will host them.