Quantcast

DIY Electric Ultralight on YouTube

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

Have any of you guys been keeping up with this guy's foam UL build? He's a pretty prolific RC builder and has a history of getting good results from quick and dirty build techniques so this is kind of the ultimate extension of that. Having said that, there are some... interesting ideas in this build.

Part One
[video=youtube_share;KidFSfdb8t8]https://youtu.be/KidFSfdb8t8[/video]

WBNH

I've been following. I don't think he knows there's no weight allowance for batteries. I also think it would make a great glider trainer to stay four feet above a slope.

Although he does say he plans to stall test it at altitude, he doesn't seem to give the impression that it's made to be flown more than a couple of times. It seems more like a slightly powered flugtag exercise than the development of a practical U/L.

Hope he gets more consistent guidance on man carrying operations than the comments sections of his videos allow.

Of course I wish him luck...but if I were to make a prediction...Heavy/Draggy/Underpowered.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

Looks like that part of the world were dogs double duty ... as pets and as snacks.
Wow, things must be worse there than I thought. The videos above were all filmed in the United States. The guy in them has a decent amount of internet fame for his hobby videos and used to be affiliated with the Flite Test guys until he had to move to a different state to help his family out with something or another (family business? illness? I forget). As stated somewhere in his posts, the intent of his airplane is to fly within Part 103 although I think he's underestimated how hard it will be.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Sounds like he understands the basics of load testing, that's good.
Overbuilt, as mentioned.

Any flight training?

TFF

Exuberance of youth. Not old curmudgeon. He knows what Pt 103 is and he knows he is over weight some. He does not realize he is probably double 103 weight. How he handles that will be interesting. He is also, I think, going to self teach. CG might have a mentor or and example. What he has done will fly, if he has enough power, and is probably mostly overbuilt, but hidden flaws, who knows. He does seem to have some behind the scenes engineering help. He is copying many Fisher design parts. Hope he gets instruction. Hope his C of G is close because he will not have the skill to handle if it is not. Hope he does not get hurt. Cant fault his ability to get things done.

nerobro

Log Member
Is it "engineered", i.e., hs he done detailed design work on it?
No, not at all.

He knows what Pt 103 is and he knows he is over weight some. He does not realize he is probably double 103 weight. How he handles that will be interesting. He is also, I think, going to self teach. CG might have a mentor or and example. What he has done will fly, if he has enough power, and is probably mostly overbuilt, but hidden flaws, who knows. He does seem to have some behind the scenes engineering help. He is copying many Fisher design parts. Hope he gets instruction. Hope his C of G is close because he will not have the skill to handle if it is not. Hope he does not get hurt. Cant fault his ability to get things done.
It's one of those natural builders. But at this point, he's doing some scary stuff. LIke his control cables dont' have thimbles, and it's hard edge metal on metal control cables.

He thinks it's going to be 180lbs. He's using way to much fiberglass, and mostly 2oz, when he should be looking at .75oz...

Right how he's got hard plastic wheels as landing gear. with no suspension.

I hope it works out. I hope the plane self destructs spectacularly, and I hope he's unhurt.

TFF

Thimbles are one thing, but they will not break before something else happens, but swedging is another. i believe may years ago a Flybaby came apart when hardware store crimper was used and the cables slipped out. i think that thing will be 500lbs. Thats light, but all that foam and fiberglass weighs. I did not like the unvarnished wood. Cables can be inspected, the wood can't be. I don't think he peeled the film off the foam, glue will not stick forever like that. I wonder where he is going to fly it. He is not going to go to some football or soccer field and have room.

Tiger Tim

Another part has been uploaded. Good on him for forging ahead but some of those design decisions... yikes!
[video=youtube_share;xEqCt7GZo7M]https://youtu.be/xEqCt7GZo7M[/video]

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
He probably should have loaded the wings at 15° angle of attack to test the foam wing skin shear. He mentioned the Skypup. I think the Skypup might have a plywood D-Cell not just foam as he said.

TFF

I found out on another site he has a PPL. Low time, but there was a picture of him in the front seat of a Pitts S2 or Christian Eagle getting an aerobatics introduction. To me now it looks like an all in semester project for maybe an industrial arts degree or more. Probably all it has to do is fly some to get the grade.

pictsidhe

Looks heavy. TLAR engineering? A copy of Peery would have been a good investment, as would some other books. He's up to 180lb and hasn't glassed the wings or added motors and batteries yet.
That Lowes foam doesn't have a film, which is why I like it ;)
The landing gear is going to be his splintery downfall.
Industrious guy, though. The next one will no doubt be much better!

pictsidhe

Tulip poplar would be my choice for a spar from Lowes.
I cut down an 80' TP a couple of weeks back. I looked along it's dead straight trunk and thought that there was likely a lovely single piece spar inside.

TFF

PT 103, it's heavy. It still is a light plane though. Question is does he fly it if it is grossly over 254lbs? It kills me the wood is not varnished. He is not showing his full hand for sure. If it is a "good" design, it is life limited just because you cant inspect it and he did not preserve it to not need inspections.