• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Different way to create molds...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senna

I'm intriqued by something I read with regard to the making of composite molds. It sounds a good deal simpler than the traditional method of creating molds. The following is the excerpt that interests me...

I cut the molds from foam using our very fine bandsaw then use a high speed drill press to rout out the channels etc. I then coat it with a mixture of micro-balloons and latex paint. I let that dry, then I sand and finish with a light coat of epoxy and microballoons. Then I have to sand lightly, coat with wax... three coats then spray on PVA.

I'm not exactly certain if the above is actually referring to MOLDS or the creation of plugs to make molds. I'm suspect of the foam as a tooling material sufficient to withstand the rigors of multiple part pulls... even if it has an epoxy top coating.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on this process?

Senna

Back