• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing the lowest possible speed aircraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XiaoLan

Hi,

(I've read a few Wikipedia articles about flight, so I know almost nothing about flight.)

I'm trying to help a friend design a ground effect vehicle for over the water.

That's an ambitious goal, so I'd first like to design a stable, LOW speed aircraft.

Even that's an ambitious goal, so I'd like first to design a Styrofoam kite version of this.

So I'd like to design a kite from Styrofoam that looks like an airplane, that flies level no matter what, and generates lift in low winds (and not much more in higher winds) (That I can tow behind my car/bicycle.)

From my reading of Wikipedia, I understand that I need to have a low wing loading, and a high aspect ratio (to me these things seem mutually exclusive). Adding a canard wing in the front also adds stability.

(I've also seen designs specifically designed for exploiting the ground effect, but these I think, need to fly too low to be practical, so I'd rather go for a design that is efficient at ALL flight altitudes, like a glider. A glider also might be relatively less affected by the negative consequences (flipping backwards) of the ground effect.)

I haven't yet found what the best angle of attack of the wings is in low speeds?

What is the best angle of attack if I want the airplane to have the maximum lift in 30-50 mph (45-75 km/ph)? (Disregarding drag)

Back