• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing a Boom Tube Attachment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester

Hi everyone,
I am scratching my head, attempting to design a lightweight structural attachment for a design I am slowly fleshing out.

The idea is to start with a single or duel ¼ inch 6061-T6 plate to act as a key attachment area for Wing/Engine Mount Struts, Front Fuse, Gear Legs, and Boom.
please excuse my drawing, my Paint-Fu is weak

BoomPlacement.jpg

The aircraft is a Single/Duel Place E-LSA weight-class bolt together high-wing pusher utilizing 60-80 HP. I need suggestions on the best way to attach the boom to this plate. The Plate will need to allow elevator and rudder control lines to feed into the boom. The Boom will need to be mated at a small angle from the plate. I have decided on using the steel collar style reinforcement on both ends of the boom.
BoomPlacement2.jpg

Even with the steel reinforcement, It does not leave an easily attachable surface to mate with the plate. I have seen several different design Ideas but none appear to work well for this design for this particular loading. Anyone have any ideas?

Back