• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Derating engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fly scared!

I'm starting to look around for the engine in my Pottier project.
I have to stick to some VW variant (the engine must be bolt direct on the firewall), with a nominal output of about 70 hp.
Since Pottier times however, the VW "conversions" evolved in some pretty hot engines, up to 100 hp.
I wonder if I can exploit these large displacement engines to run them at a lower RPM.
So I asked mr. Hovarth (Revmaster) if their engine coulb be run at 2500 RPM for a max. output of 70 HP.
He agreed, but noted that the compression value should be lowered.
Why so ? May anyone address me to some documentation ?
And would this apply to Rotax too ? I know of many schools running their 912 at 5000~5200 RPM (by over-pitching the prop) to "spare" the engine.

Back