• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dave Wilcox's N136DE has a new home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really want to tell this story....but there may be some lessons in it which may be useful to someone...someday.

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the airport....the propeller stopped. I was at about 2,500 feet AGL and 8 miles from the runways in an idle descent at 70 mph experimenting with engine out profiles. The engine was idling a little rough so I tried adjusting the mixture to full rich. That changed nothing. I then tried to lean the mixture beyond the rough idle. That is when the propeller stopped.

My first instinct was to make the propeller start turning again. I pointed the nose at the ground and got as much airspeed as possible (maybe 120 mph). The propeller did not budge. When the shrubs started looking like trees I pulled the nose up and traded airspeed for altitude. The propeller turned over in the pull but only 180 degrees. It stopped in the vertical position which is probably to be expected for a prop set up for hand starting.

Surveying my situation, I had a rocky pasture underneath me and power lines in front of me. I was already headed into the prevailing winds. To minimize my downrange travel, I made a 90 degree turn away followed by a turn back into the wind. The altitude burned off very quickly. Following the turns there was nothing left to do but set the attitude and meet the ground. My intention in this situation has always been to plant the aircraft as firmly as possible to scrub off energy. With a little help from slightly rising terrain and a good rate of descent, I achieved that goal. The gear spread, the prop broke, and the plane skidded to a stop in about 150 feet.

That was two weeks ago, Saturday. No damage to the pilot (other than a bruised ego). The gear has been straightened, the new prop is on order, the wheel pants are history, new tires and tubes are mounted, and new brake calipers are in the mail. When the prop arrives I will give the engine an opportunity to exonerate itself from all culpability. I guess the problem with being the builder and the pilot is that all fingers point to you...no matter what happens.

Thinking through the mixture issue (probable cause of the incident) I realize some quirks about the slide injector carburetor. The most important is that we don't really have a mixture control. What we have is a second fuel shutoff valve...albeit a valve more finely adjustable than a ball valve. In retrospect, the fuel flow at idle is so small that trying to adjust it with the mixture control is clearly a recipe for disaster (case in point).

Hope you can glean something from my story. Happy to answer any questions. I'll let you know when N136DE is back in the air.

All the best,
Chucker

Sorry to hear the bad news, Chucker, but glad that you didn't get hurt. I frequently adjust the mixture when throttled back but your experience has me rethinking that. Any thoughts on the engine roughness that started the chain of events?

Ed

Hi Ed,

My only thought is that increased airflow (due to airborne idle RPM being greater than ground idle RPM) with the needle at the idle position caused a lean condition. I don't normally close the throttle except to land. It had probably always run rough at idle in flight. Thinking back, I do recall a little rough idle when closing the throttle for landing. Due to my airport elevation, I have to run with the mixture leaned anytime I'm not at full power so the mixture is always leaned in the pattern. I have noticed it run a little rough at idle descending on base and final. Enriching the mixture has never helped. Talking through this it sounds as though I need a steeper needle or I need to back the mixture screw out a hair and live with a richer mixture at full power.

Chucker

It's probably smart to check the run-out on the prop flange. Even thought the engine wasn't turning, if your prop hit the ground it may have bent the crank. In the Lycoming world, a prop strike includes descriptions so loose that any damage to the prop that requires removal for repair is a "prop strike" regardless of how the damage occured and regardless of whether the engine was turning. And their required engine inspection for a prop strike is pretty invasive.

Chucker - well done on handling the issue and writing about it.

At idle and low speed the fuel can vaporize 'somewhat' in the fuel line and cause some burbling/roughness.

Chucker - hate to hear this as well but thankful you are safe and decided to share. Assuming this airplane doesn’t have electric start as you could have bumped the starter a few times for a restart attempt before committing to the dead stick landing. Correct? As others are, curious on exactly what caused it.

Chucker - hate to hear this as well but thankful you are safe and decided to share. Assuming this airplane doesn’t have electric start as you could have bumped the starter a few times for a restart attempt before committing to the dead stick landing. Correct? As others are, curious on exactly what caused it.
Hand prop only. A starter would have been very welcome at that moment.

Received my new prop.

The good news is that there is nothing wrong with the engine. It still runs like a top.
The bad news is that there was nothing wrong with the engine. It was the nut behind the stick. :(

I just need to put the wings back on and drag her to the airport.

Hey ChuckerF14...don't feel pregnant! I knuckle headed a botched landing some time ago and cracked my prop and trashed the wheel pants as well. My engine was at full low stop idle when she nosed over and then sat back down on the t.w.
Call Scott Cassler, the Hummel Engine guru out in your state of AZ. He can advise you about an acid-test run up procedure on the ground for the engine, AND... He can build you a beautiful new engine mount and starter assembly with flywheel, magneto drive, 32 amp alt and volt regulator...etc. He built mine and it is awesome. His quality machining, and spot-on work is impeccable.
Less than $800.00 shipped. It bolted up precisely with just a bit of trimming down the 4 main eng. attach bolt 'spacer spools' for a perfect fit, back into the original cowling. You may have to do a bit of sheet metal work to the firewall to fit the starter that rides at 6 o'clock under the mag. Check my gallery for progress build pics. Your event is why I decided not to fly mine without a starter...not to mention I tore my L rotator cup trying to hand start mine on a cold day...screw-that bro! Not to mention the safety hazard of hand starting an airplane engine. (to me...) it just aint worth it to save about 50-60 lbs. of empty weight. Mine climbs out like a banshee, as is...and makes 140 mph cruise with no problems.
If I was 'Racing'...yes. But I am not and never intend to...so no...it aint worth it...again...(to me.)
As SmokyRay told me..."Lived & Learned, to fly another day". You fighter jocks are 'the-bomb' and modern day heroes to (me)!

Attachments

• firewall clecos.jpg
    firewall clecos.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • firewall 3.jpg
    firewall 3.jpg
    858.3 KB · Views: 21
  • eng plate top R.jpg
    eng plate top R.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 20
Back