Data or experience on aerodynamic penalties of seams and rivets?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

yankeeclipper

Hi folks.

I'm after what impact seams and rivets (as with wood or aluminum skins) have on a 140-150 kt design cruise, all else being equal of course. Is this speed so low as to be negligible? I'm guessing not, since modern sailplane designers seem to pursue ultra-smooth lines for 60-70 knots (and finishes, but that's a different story, sorta). But does it become negligible again, say, as compared to the the drag of a windmilling (or stationary) prop? Or a soft-chined fuselage?

Thanks.

Jan Carlsson

Rivets and gaps ... on a wing will add CD 0,003 - 0,0035, that on a wing with a CDo of 0,00785 or so.
That's 40%
But the same common aircraft will have a fo of 0.5558 m2, or a CDo to the wing area of 0,0434
That's 7,5% extra drag from rivets on the wing to the total fo (flat plate drag) not calculating the induced drag.
Room for improvments there is!

Jan
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Depends on the location.
The first third of the wing is more important than the aft part near the trailing edge.
I often see large drops of water near the aft third of the wing in flight where the boundary layer is thicker. The drops are motionless, so I doubt rivets near the trailing edge matter.
BB

Aircar

Banned
Hoerner has stacks of data on rivet heads and skin laps -- I'll see if I can drag it out .

The observation of stationary water drops on the wing rear end indivates separated flow not just turbulent transition --in fact the velocity profile in laminar flow goes to ZERO at the surface but is HIGH in transitioned turbulent flow (which is basically why skin friction is so much higher ) --was the question about rivet heads on a hull perhaps (water drag) ? The 'chine' reference is possibly to a faceted 'prismatic' fuselage though . Every bit of drag adds up and costs power but conversely if you halve the drag you only go the cube root of 2 as fast (drag builds as the cube of speed) --ergo less drag is cheaper than more engine -- another Yoda like homily. One horsepower = 550 ft lbs per second so that at 550 ft/s every pound of drag consumes one horsepower (that's 375MPH ) --150 knots is plenty fast to worry about drag --as is 20knots if you are in a man powered aircraft or 50knots in a soaring glider it is always a case of 'waste not want not' or as Yoda might put it 'waste not if want Knot"

Some mental arithmetic -- if 50Knot = 60mph (approx) 375 mph = 312 knot so at 156 knots 8 lbs (2 cubed) of drag will need the same power as one pound at 312 k or conversley what costs one horsepower at half the speed will chew up eight horsepower at twice the speed (1/8 th HP per pound of drag at ca. 150 k ) how many rivets was it...? and if you lose laminar flow as well then double the penalty.

There was an article titled "drag analysis of a skyhopper" in an old EAA publication where the writer identified every single thing in the airstream and added them up in answer to a similar question about 'why is my aircraft so slow surely a few bolts and rivet heads can't matter that much at such low speed ..? --except that they are why it was so slow.

autoreply

There was an article titled "drag analysis of a skyhopper" in an old EAA publication where the writer identified every single thing in the airstream and added them up in answer to a similar question about 'why is my aircraft so slow surely a few bolts and rivet heads can't matter that much at such low speed ..? --except that they are why it was so slow.
Anderson has an interesting one too:

"Wie het kleine niet eert is het grote niet weert" Or, in English, who doesn't honor the small (gains) isn't worth the big ones.

Attachments