Cygnet news

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill-Higdon

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
There is something strange about that article.

"Then came the decision on how to get the airworthiness certificate. Loes had done far more than a 50% restoration and felt eligible to apply for a new serial number and, potentially, light sport status. But, Viking Aircraft wanted to sell new plans to him to support that path. He also preferred to avoid potential, future liability by keeping the original builder’s name (Henry Olsen) associated with the plane. Thus, he kept the serial number (and N-number) and received the new airworthiness certificate in December 2020. He also succeeded in obtaining a repairman certificate for the restored airplane through an obscure, but legal, process."

How can you get the repairman certificate if not the builder and not applying for a new serial number and why keep the plane under the original builder's name "to avoid potential, future liability" if you've rebuilt more than half the plane?

Turd Ferguson

How can you get the repairman certificate if not the builder and not applying for a new serial number and why keep the plane under the original builder's name "to avoid potential, future liability" if you've rebuilt more than half the plane?
According to FAA 8900.1:

The FAA is allowed "to issue a Repairman Certificate to one single individual identified as the primary builder" (That's cut and pasted straight out of the 8900.1 manual)

The primary builder doesn't have to build any percentage of the airplane. He only needs to be identified as the primary builder.

Nobody received a repairman certificate for this plane so the restorer identified himself as primary builder and applied. Voila !

I'd buy a homebuilt that already has an airworthiness certificate for that reason. The dataplate has the original builders name on it, not the restorer's name.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
When the Kitplanes article said "already built" I understood that to mean a completed and flying homebuilt, not a project. Why wouldn't the original builder have received a repairman's certificate?

Turd Ferguson

Why wouldn't the original builder have received a repairman's certificate?
Didn't want or need it?

Applying for a repairman certificate is not part of the airplane paperwork process.

If I build a plane I might get a repairman certificate just for the novelty of having it but I don't really need it.