Cost Of Full Size Replica

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by IainHol, Jan 14, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 6, 2011 #21

Mac790

Mac790

Mac790

RJW, this is exactly that Jurca replica in Germany that I was referring to, it crashed during landing due to the landing gear failure, if I remember correctly, I've seen some post crash pictures, but can't find them now.

Seb

2. Mar 6, 2011 #22

RJW

RJW

RJW

I didn’t hear about the crash. And my memory and eyeballs are pretty bad too. It is not a US plane as is seen in the pics.

Rob

3. Mar 6, 2011 #23

Mac790

Mac790

Mac790

Just found single post crash picture (attachment), from here Focke-Wulf 190 D-FWUB seems that plane flew only 463 km/h with 1200HP. Here is a facebook group he is active Focke Wulf - FW 190 | Facebook take a look at pictures gallery, seems that he's trying to build an aluminum version this time.

But like I said above personally I would rather build a clone of YAK-3.

Because a picture/s is/are worth more than 1000 words, just a few attachments :).

Seb

Attached Files:

4. Mar 6, 2011 #24

math1733

math1733

math1733

After the crash, Christophe Jacquard, the owner of the plane sold it to a german guy who want to restore it (It think it'll be restored by Meier). The damages was quite serious but not enough to make the plane un-rebuiltable.
    You can find some pictures on the web, just search "fw 190 hyere".

For the JURCA replica, the max VNE is 550 to 600 km/h, the approch speed is 100 kts. The normal weight for the reinforced version (1200 hp) is 2700 kg and the max weight 3000 kg

For the Jurca replica which crashed in Germany, It was construct by Uli Bronner. The right landing gear broke during the landing. it was due to a bad welding. I know that the plane is supposed to be restored but the owner is not very motivated. He proposed me to buy the plane for about 250,000 euros.
    I can afford that price during a ten years construction but not in one time, thats why I built my own replica.

Math

5. Mar 14, 2011 #25

Enemy Ace

Enemy Ace

Enemy Ace

Bob Deford told me that he had @$200,000-$250,000 USD in his beautiful 1:1 Jurca Spitfire. In my opinion that airplane is the most successful non-commercial replica ever built. An interesting fact is that Claus Colling of Flugwerk built the landing gear both for Deford's Spitfire and Uli Bronner's Fw190. Bronner's 190 was very close to flight when I saw it back in the fall (of 2010). The airplane was back together on its gear and a new prop had been delivered and was waiting to be installed.
    Something to keep in mind about Deford's Spitfire is he had a near full time helper. Both the 190 and spitfire took about the same amount of time, roughly eight years to build. If I've got any of these facts wrong I apologize and feel free to set me straight, I am going on memory recalling conversations with these inspiring individuals.

6. Apr 4, 2011 #26

Von Richter

Von Richter

Von Richter

From building a 5/8 scale fighter on, the cost of a larger scale increases by the square. A full size can cost 3 to 4 times what a 3/4 scale plane costs. Better off pulling a fighter off the bottom of Lake Michagan and restoring it.

7. Apr 16, 2011 #27

magangaan

magangaan

magangaan

Titan Aircraft in Ohio have a full size P-51 replica under development. Estimated kit price is going to be $250 000. No engine, instruments or prop. It will weigh about the same as a Cessna 185 but with the airfoil being used a minimum of 600 HP will be required. The prototype is being fitted with a Garret Turbine at +/- 1000HP for proof of concept. The next one is getting an Allison. Two seats and dual control will be standard.

8. Apr 20, 2011 #28

Haymore

Haymore

Haymore

9. Jan 30, 2013 #29

macdonca

macdonca

macdonca

Most of the "orginal" P-51s on the market are in fact new-build airframes. If you own a data plate you can essential "build" an a/c around the data plate. However if you build a mustang from original NA plans (its been done before) AND you stay within the confines of "Experimental: Amature Built" then it can be registered as such.