• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Composite Monocoque Structures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig saxon

OK, so I know it's an airplane site and this article is about a car, but is this a technique that could be useful for a fuselage. The article describes the original Lotus Elite Monocoque structure where the body/chassis was constructed from three main moldings. The chassis weighed 200 lb and when tested, showed a maximum deflection at the windshield opening of 0.050 inch. I imagine that stiffness and weight could be improved somewhat using modern fabrics and manufacturing techniques. I realize that the skins would need to be thicker than those on a sandwich structure due to the buckling case, but an amphibian needs to be built heavier anyway to absorb the impacts from water operations. I also know that tooling costs would also be more expensive due to the extra molds required. This could however be offset against the time saved in internal fit out of the fuselage. Any thoughts?
Craig

Attachments

• Lotus Elite Monocoque 3.jpg
    Lotus Elite Monocoque 3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,701
  • Lotus Elite Monocoque 1.jpg
    Lotus Elite Monocoque 1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 5,137
  • Lotus Elite Monocoque 2.jpg
    Lotus Elite Monocoque 2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 4,218
Back