Chris heintz

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dan Thomas

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
He sure brought a lot to the homebuilding community. I remember meeting him at the Arlington NW fly-in in about 1975? maybe. He had his prototype Zenith 100 there and unlike most other folks, he told people to climb up and sit in it. Sold lots of plans that way. It was getting scuffed up but he didn't mind....
Chris was pretty much a utilitarian, function rather than form type of person. Utility was more priority than beauty. That's why so many of his ugly STOL plans/kits/planes have sold over the years, and continue to do so. I have one in my garage.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Sad the hear that Chris Heintz died.

I have plans built Zenith 600, yes a 600, Zenith sold plans for a short time. It was the forerunner of the 601. Nose fuel tank only of 15 gal, 2" narrower fuselage. Plans show a 1835 cc , VW engine. I stopped and visited Zenith's factory and his son told me that its also OK for the small Cont and anything at no more than 200 lbs. Said if using an O-200 with starter and alt, will have to relocate the battery from the firewall to behind the seats below the baggage shelf.
Never finished , I gave it to my grandson with a engine mount I built for a Cont A-75 and enough engine parts to build the engine. Needs engine install and the canopy.
One time talked to a man in SC that was flying a 600 with the 1835 VW and said he liked it and preformed about like a C-150.

TarDevil

Though not very attractive, I was intrigued by the affordability to aerobatics Chris brought to market with his CH 150. I saw Red Morris fly a routine in the plane at Tullahoma in, I think, 1980.
He and Rich Van Grunsven made indelible signatures in the homebuilt aircraft industry.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Though not very attractive, I was intrigued by the affordability to aerobatics Chris brought to market with his CH 150. I saw Red Morris fly a routine in the plane at Tullahoma in, I think, 1980.
He and Rich Van Grunsven made indelible signatures in the homebuilt aircraft industry.
I saw the CH180 fly at Sebring way back when. I thought that a few would be built as inexpensive entry level aircraft for aerobatics, but AFAIK, only the prototype flew.

Agree with you about the aesthetics.

BJC

Hephaestus

Chris was pretty much a utilitarian, function rather than form type of person. Utility was more priority than beauty. That's why so many of his ugly STOL plans/kits/planes have sold over the years, and continue to do so. I have one in my garage.
CH180.jpg

He had at least 1 that's marginally not awful looking :)

Wouldn't mind running across a set of plans for the 180...

I saw the CH180 fly at Sebring way back when. I thought that a few would be built as inexpensive entry level aircraft for aerobatics, but AFAIK, only the prototype flew.
There's 3 of them on the canadian registry...

Dan Thomas

Im wonder what kind of airplanes the genius has came up with, that never saw the shopfloor or never gone any further then the drawing board?!
The mind of a genius has ideas that never even reach a drawing board. Life is short and there's only so much physical energy to implement ideas.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...He had at least 1 that's marginally not awful looking :)...
True. My "ugly" comment was based on his STOL designs, which most people consider ugly. I personally consider it utilitarian, and thus mostly immune from appearance considerations. Form follows function.

Dan Thomas

True. My "ugly" comment was based on his STOL designs, which most people consider ugly. I personally consider it utilitarian, and thus mostly immune from appearance considerations. Form follows function.
There are some ugly birds that are fantastic fliers. Buzzards, Condors, Herons....

Hephaestus

Yeah, all his designs just don't seem to have that 'flair'. Even the 200/600's just lacked something, but the shape is very french and should look good.

Did manage to find a set of ch180 'plans' - but they're definitely assembly manual more than plans...

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
There are some ugly birds that are fantastic fliers. Buzzards, Condors, Herons....
I have no idea why your comment made this pop into my head, but I wonder what the Stuka flew like.

Storch and Tiger Moth were ugly too.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The CH STOL series is both ugly and beautiful, for the same reason a rock crawling Jeep, and a Sherman tank, and a sledgehammer, is ugly and beautiful.
And a VW bug.