Chilton DW1 Build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

As luck would have it, I was cleaning my office the other day and uncovered my Chilton plans. Now I get to follow along on your build with drawings!

Reactions: VP1

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Great! They are really well done drawings. Given their quality I'm surprised more haven't been built.

I just put together a spruce order for the spars. They'll take $500 in spruce and about $150 in plywood. Not as cheap as it probably was in the past but I'm too young to miss those days :)

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Are plans available for the Chilton’s big brother (Sparrowhawk)? I wouldn’t say the cockpit is particularly small, it’s around 24” wide, and the firewall is certainly moveable if building from plans.

Chilton

The Chilton was designed in an era of smaller people, at 5' 8 it fits me well but I am told larger people find it uncomfortable! I know of at least on over 6foot who could not even get in mine as his knees would not clear the instrument panel.

I am following this on my photos from 20 years ago, lots of memories, the tail was built in a student bedsit at college, I had an understanding landlady!

Reactions: VP1

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
The Chilton was designed in an era of smaller people, at 5' 8 it fits me well but I am told larger people find it uncomfortable! I know of at least on over 6foot who could not even get in mine as his knees would not clear the instrument panel.

I am following this on my photos from 20 years ago, lots of memories, the tail was built in a student bedsit at college, I had an understanding landlady!
Which Chilton do you own?

Chilton

I built G-BWGJ, the second plans built to fly after the Canadian C-GIST. hopefully I will be moving back to Europe soon so I will get it flying again!

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
That's great to have another builder on here! Your's has the O-145 is that right? How does she fly?

Chilton

Yes I have the O-145, ex G-AFGH, it came with engine mount built by Auster Aircraft when the plane was owned by their chief test pilot. The whole assembly is very heavy, really too much for the airframe, so keeping inside the forward C of G limit is difficult and requires lead in the taail unfortunately.

With the fine pitch prop originally fitted she maxed out at about 105 knots so pretty quick, and flew very nicely. The nearest comparison I have is an overpowered Chipmunk but I am told the Spitfire is a closer match!

As you may know some of the originals had the outer panel flaps disabled as the drag is extremely high on a go around with full flap, and that is something I intend to do on GJ when she flies againas I found the centre flap alone is adequate.

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Exciting to hear! Can't wait to get her flying. I'm hoping the Pegasus O-100 development is complete by the time I'm looking for an engine. It seems ideal for the Chilton.

Victor Bravo

Yes I have the O-145, ex G-AFGH, it came with engine mount built by Auster Aircraft when the plane was owned by their chief test pilot.
Wow!!... you have a piece of an aircraft that was owned and flown by Ranald Porteous ! What a wonderful link to aviation history. That one old black and white photo of him walking his Chilton through the grass holding the tailskid in his hand sticks in my head. His flight reports on it were fantastic. As an enthusiast of both the Chilton and the Auster, Porteous is one of those historical figures in aviation I would have love to meet.

Victor Bravo

Exciting to hear! Can't wait to get her flying. I'm hoping the Pegasus O-100 development is complete by the time I'm looking for an engine. It seems ideal for the Chilton.
The O-100 would be wonderful in a Chilton. When your airframe is further along and you are ready to make the final engine decisions, I will bring you up to Shafter and introduce you to Pete personally if you don't already know him. He is very likely already a very strong supporter of the Chilton Monoplane.

Chilton

Between the Chilton and the Auster I am working on for Dad lots of links back to Porteous.

When I started on GJ Porteous was still alive and was the source of the recommendation to fly the spitfire as preparation for the Chilton! The engine running walk the plane out holding the skid is actually thhe easiest way to operate in the Chilton if you have the original skid and no brakes, I am still debating adding brakes but I need a lighter engine to offset the weight, when Pete Plumb gets the O-100 available that is a definite possibility.

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
More progress from the little airplane shop

Fin with the final skin installed fresh out of the clamps, prior to trimming excess skin. My bathroom scale says it weighs 4 lbs at this stage.

Storage for the moment

Stabilizer also had its final skin applied and still has the tape and staples in place.

Group Builder