Chilton DW1 Build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jan_K

... the AM10 run at just 50% power would still provide about 38 hp, substantially more power for less weight than the Chilton's original 31 hp Carden-Ford. The result would be a very smooth and quiet engine with the prop turning at just 1200 rpm (more if you change the reduction gear ratio). Why would that be a bad thing?
The reduction gear adds complexity and weight (8kg?), you can not handprop the engine. The Carden-Ford had 65kg, the G13 is 53kg bare engine. With 40 HP you do not need large propeller (propeller fitted to 'ESZ is 40" x 30"), so you save another weight and the wingtip speed goes down, no problems with prop noise at all.

Last edited:

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
As you can see by the stabilizer, I could have done a better job prepping the skeleton for the skins- as evidenced by the little bit of micro at the leading edge. Compound curves are tough..

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
As you can see by the stabilizer, I could have done a better job prepping the skeleton for the skins- as evidenced by the little bit of micro at the leading edge. Compound curves are tough..
From the micro, it would appear that you have some low spots or waves in the skin. What would you do differently, now that you have that experience behind you?

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
From the micro, it would appear that you have some low spots or waves in the skin. What would you do differently, now that you have that experience behind you?
Kind of hard to say, although I think I may try allowing the skins to float a little more over the ribs during gluing instead of stapling them every few inches. The puckers near the leading edge are caused by the staples pulling the skin towards the rib. They aren't very deep, just enough the see when the light hits it right. I think I could avoid that by using less staples on the ribs- so long as the ply follow the rib smoothly and any glue joint gaps are within T-88's filling capability.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Chilton DW-1 (1937)
Druine Turbulent (1951)
Taylor Monoplane (1959)

That’s the first time I’ve heard a Taylor Mono described as “modern!” ;-)

warp

Beautiful work, Alan! How is the fit in the cockpit compared to some of the more modern single place homebuilts such as the Taylor Mono, Druine Turbulent, etc?
Hi
The Chilton is a snug fit for me at 182cm and 90kg,my knees brush the underside of the tank when using the rudder. slightly spreading my legs fixed that, but I went for a more permanent fix by lifting the cross member 40mm at station 2 and changing the fuel tank to suit creating a lot of wriggle room for the anticipated long trips , the Chilton has long legs like me.
Cheers
ps, a simple fix would have been to add length to the cockpit pushing the rudder pedals forward, but with the Mikron Engine its nose heavy.

simflyer

Engines....Ideally I'd use a Mikron III but they're $10,000 + euros and support seems very nonexistant. To be honest, I wouldn't really mind spending the money if the support was there ..... So... I don't know yet. Still making up my mind
Two of my friends have TBOed Mikron III engines (don't know if A, B or C), probably for reasonable sale. Servis should be made by Parmatechnik.cz. Next friend is producing Bucker 131 replicas with Mikrons, so I could ask for his experience.

simflyer

Chilton DW-1 (1937), Druine Turbulent (1951), Taylor Monoplane (1959) That’s the first time I’ve heard a Taylor Mono described as “modern!” ;-)
More "modern" planes here - Comper Swift, Baby Bullet, Percival MewGull, Parakeet, Skyote, Jodel Bebe ...

n45bm

More "modern" planes here - Comper Swift, Baby Bullet, Percival MewGull, Parakeet, Skyote, Jodel Bebe ...
The Percival Mew Gull, now, there's a classic, beautiful plane. Are plans available, or are they to be had anywhere? IF I were to build ANOTHER all wood plane, that might be it.

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
The Percival Mew Gull, now, there's a classic, beautiful plane. Are plans available, or are they to be had anywhere? IF I were to build ANOTHER all wood plane, that might be it.
I too would love to build a more spacious prewar design after this one. I see the lack of suitable engines as more of a hindrance than a lack of plans though.
Maybe we could get Pete Plumb to build an in-line 0-200 so I could make a 2 seater... :)

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Been in Singapore for the past month doing structural inspections on a USN ship we have over here. Headed home soon and can’t wait to get back on it!

crusty old aviator

Kind of hard to say, although I think I may try allowing the skins to float a little more over the ribs during gluing instead of stapling them every few inches. The puckers near the leading edge are caused by the staples pulling the skin towards the rib. They aren't very deep, just enough the see when the light hits it right. I think I could avoid that by using less staples on the ribs- so long as the ply follow the rib smoothly and any glue joint gaps are within T-88's filling capability.
Have you ever tried vacuum bagging the entire surface? It works for me. You have to secure the skins’ locations with tape around the edges, then slide it in the bag, seal it, and start the vacuum. I don’t use T-88 though, I use Titebond III.

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Spars are DONE! Well mostly. Still need to trim the ends and I’m leaving the ply webs a little oversized for the time being while they are frequently being moved around the shop.
I’m thinking I’ll do the center section first and then try to build the outer wing panels simultaneously afterwards. Ideally I’d work on everything at the same time but I’m pretty space limited. We’ll see...

Attachments