Cheapest place for raw aluminum for scratch build?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

JayKoit

I was just wondering if anyone could point me to the best deals on Aluminum (6061 T6) for a zenith or Sonex scratch build. I'm in the Los Angeles area and I keep reading about saving money by finding materials locally. Aircraft Spuce is out here but are there any better places with lower prices? Thanks.

autoreply

Walk by a company that works with those materials (any of the big names nearby you?) and you might find some left-overs that are too small for them, but usable for smaller parts?

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Google "remnants" and "surplus materials" for your area and go to the websites of some metal places close to you to see if they have a section for remainders.. This combined with Autoreply's suggestion should get you somewhere. Also be familiar with alternative uses for the same material. 6061 is very popular. All metal should have a mil-spec marking on it.

Thrashperformance

does anyone know what type of aluminum flashing is made of? i asked at the hardware store and they dont know, i spent a lot of time on google and came up with a blank.

Pops

Log Member
I have not compared prices recently but this company has always has pretty good prices and will sell aluminum sheet by the foot. Aircraft supplies aluminum sheet 2024T3 4130 steel tubing Airparts inc - Aircraft construction supplies

Aluminum flashing is a soft alloy similar to 3003. Not strong enough for aircraft parts but to make a test part or practice
forming a part, it is easy to work.
Used it for the faring between the fin and stab on my little single seat Super Cub. Didn't even have to paint it. Just used the white side to the outside. Yes, its very soft.
Dan

JayKoit

Try

Burbank Metal Supply Company

3207 N San Fernando Blvd Burbank, CA 91504
(818) 846-4333

They sell all kinds of remnants at good prices.
Industrial metal supply in sun valley.

They have a remnants and off cuts section out in the warehouse that they sell be the pound. They have decent prices and do cutting as well.

check them out.

Metal Los Angeles | Sheet Metal & Aluminum Supplier | Industrial Metal Supply
thanks guys! Sorry it's been a while since I checked this thread, but I appreciate the suggestions.

Latest posts

Group Builder