Certified Instruments?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by K-Rigg, Mar 30, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1

K-Rigg

K-Rigg

K-Rigg

I have been obtaining instruments for my airplane, but really have payed attention on if i need the "green tagged" instruments or not.

And if an instrument is not approved or "green tagged", do i need to get them approved?

2. Mar 31, 2009 #2

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

"Yellow Tag" is marked as usable, K. A&P's do not repair instruments; they go to repair stations.
    Percy in NM, USA

3. Mar 31, 2009 #3

wally

wally

wally

And if you are building an experimental plane, if you know it works ok, you can use it. When certifying the plane for the first time, the Feds are free to question your choice, however but usually won't.

I have a couple of engine instruments in my Pitts from the "aviation section" of the Summit racing catalogue. The altimeter and G-meter came from Barnstormers.com, no tags at all, just an email saying "hey it was working when I took it out!". Airspeed and tach are new from Spruce but again, not certified instruments.

You as the builder are certifying that the plane and everything in it is functional and safe for the intended use.

If you need an instrument repaired or certified, call Rudy Instruments in (?town) Arkansas. They did some instruments for my Cessna and were reasonable and good turn-around time.
    Best wishes,
    Wally

4. Oct 26, 2009 #4

Sticky1

Sticky1

Sticky1

Why steam when GRT is out there...?

5. Oct 26, 2009 #5

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

$$$ and safety.

Any aircraft using a glass cockpit should have mechanical backups for critical instruments. While the new electronic devices are extremely reliable, having a single point of failure for all instrumentation is not a good idea in an aircraft. For a day VFR aircraft altimeter and airspeed are probably enough. For an IFR aircraft I'd want backup gyros.

6. Oct 26, 2009 #6

Sticky1

Sticky1

Sticky1

Yea, yea....I thought that way till a few months ago. I have dual efis with dual batteries and dual sensors. I also have steam gauges. Yep....all in the same plane! I also fly IFR. If you look at the instrument trend you will not see steam gauges within 5 years.