• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cannot see what that is...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifidibosco

Hy all,
I'm translating (to french) my set of plans I recently received. I have a problem with the the 8th paragraph page 19, of the Construction Manual, beginning by "to make a fiting....." to "...serious engine damage". I cannot exactly visualize what is described in this paragraph.
If anyone could send me photos of what is described her that would be great.
Thank you in advance.
Phil

Last edited:
Phil, the paragraph in the Sonerai Builders Manual that you are questioning refers to the installation of a “balance” tube between the two intake manifold head castings on a Great Plains Aircraft Supply VW conversion engine. It describes the installation of a fitting in each manifold casting, and connecting them together with an aluminum tube. It is not necessary to do this. The engine will run very well without it. I had two different VW’s (a Monnett 1850 and a Great Plains 2180) in my IIL, and they ran very well without it. (I actually tried it for a while and did not notice any difference in performance, so I removed it.)

Phil, the paragraph in the Sonerai Builders Manual that you are questioning refers to the installation of a “balance” tube between the two intake manifold head castings on a Great Plains Aircraft Supply VW conversion engine. It describes the installation of a fitting in each manifold casting, and connecting them together with an aluminum tube. It is not necessary to do this. The engine will run very well without it. I had two different VW’s (a Monnett 1850 and a Great Plains 2180) in my IIL, and they ran very well without it. (I actually tried it for a while and did not notice any difference in performance, so I removed it.)
Thank you Fred, I think I'll forget that for the moment.

Back