CAD Program

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cblink.007

I personally am an AutoCAD (and Inventor) guy. I started with AutoCAD 10 while in high school, and never really looked back. I toyed with the basic SW that EAA offered, but expensive upgrades are required to do work with any of my drawing packages. If my group and I knew SW, we'd consider it, but we don't, so we will stick to what we know!

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I started with AutoCAD 10 while in high school, and never really looked back.
It's still an excellent tool. I actually prefer the older versions (either v14 or 2000 being my favorite). How useful it is for CNC work, I don't know.

kubark42

I couldn't more highly recommend Onshape, www.onshape.com. It was founded by the founders of SolidWorks, fixing so many of SolidWork's legacy mistakes after they sold it off to Dassault. Onshape was recently bought by PTC, so it has a very deep pockets behind its product development now.

Like any comparison between two products you will find things that other CAD does better, but as a whole Onshape is hard to beat. And the public tier is free to use, so the price of entry is only the time it takes to learn it.

BTW, one of the best things about Onshape is the design methodology. Instead of making each part separately and then uniting them in an assembly, Onshape encourages you to make multiple parts in the same feature tree. This is a lifesaver when it comes to modifying one part and seeing the impact on another. For instance, if you shift a part placement it might require that mounting holes be regenerated. This is just much easier and more natural when viewing all the parts in a part studio, instead of having to jump back and forth between part and assembly views.

P.S. Thanks to all who are discussing FreeCAD. I'm a big open-source guy, and so FreeCAD pushes all the right buttons.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
FreeCAD appears to have really grown in capability since the last time I took a look at it.

rdj

One of the big hurdles to getting FreeCAD working correctly in the past, at least on my system, has always been its huge tree of software dependencies. Now that container software has taken the world by storm, using FreeCAD is as easy as downloading and running it as an AppImage. It's quite an impressive piece of software.

Speedboat100

Banned
I was able to figure out how Fusion 360 worx in just 10 minutes....by looking and testing the options...and knowing ACAD LT before. Pretty easy so far.....and free.

Making (producing a 3D image) an entire aeroplane with all bells and whistles may be a challenge still.

guutio.jpg

Geraldc

Looks like the free version of Fusion 360 is to end on 23 Feb 2021.
Unless someone knows different.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Just join the EAA and download the student version of Solidworks. It smore industry standard anyhow and worth learing. The free verison that the EAA has has every option and is far more feature rich the the version I pay for each year. Downside is its student only and cant be used for commercial purposes. It populates the design tree with an icon that shows it was a student version that cant be removed. However, I can still use it for FEA and such with CAD models I design in my paid version....

Hephaestus

That's just plain wrong. Where are you getting this. Feb 23rd if you're trying to run an old build that doesn't restrict you to 10 projects - you're forced to update.

That's not getting rid of the free version in any way.

Geraldc

That's just plain wrong. Where are you getting this. Feb 23rd if you're trying to run an old build that doesn't restrict you to 10 projects - you're forced to update.

That's not getting rid of the free version in any way.
I tried updating but could only get a buy option.

Hephaestus

I tried updating but could only get a buy option.

It's always been a pain in the ass... Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Geraldc

It's always been a pain in the ass... Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Eventually updated Fusion. Right about the pain in the ass to get past the pressure to buy.

Hephaestus

Eventually updated Fusion. Right about the pain in the ass to get past the pressure to buy.
Yeah, just hoops to get free software. I think I'll transition to the paid version - possibly add in helius over the next little while. Price isn't outrageous - at least they've got that going for them.

Assuming they fix whatever is going on with offline / uploads for me... This is starting to bug me, clearing and reinstall didn't fix it.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Been using the education version for a while to learn their version of programming which post processes to Gcode for my router. Haven't seen any pressure to buy. There are a few high level functions in the CAM package that you have to pay to access but they are all beyond any capability I have. Been spending some time testing the modeling engine and especially the surfacing side of things. So far I am pleasantly surprised. The interface takes a while to get used to and some of the methods are a bit skewed to CAD norms but it's all there. Paying for Fusion seems to be one of the bargains of the mid level CAD world right now. I encourage anyone that is trying to decide where to go in this direction to just get the edu version and see how far you can get in a short period of time.

berridos

I am using the EAA SW and dont like it very much. Years ago i preferred much more older versions of catia (super deep pockets). OPensource, Bender seems to be popular and salome for meshing before openfoam. Havent been using sw for years and my brain has been formated in that regard. Hopefully i find 3 month in a row i can dedicate my free time to it and become again operative. I need urgently to become operative again to show any progress.