Building a Sonex! Stoked to be here :)

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Boston425

Hey Everyone,

I've been a long time lurker here on HBA. I think I created my account about two years ago. I just bought a new home (Spokane, WA) with a detached shop and now I can hardly wait to get started on my new Sonex model B build.

My goal is to document the entire build via YouTube videos. First and foremost I think it'll be fun to look back on the build, but I also thought other homebuilders might enjoy watching (and hopefully learning from) my mistakes :)

My first video is here. If you end up giving it a watch I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks again,

Tyler

Aerowerx

Interesting way to document your build, but you might want to create your own thread in the Member Project Log section.

FritzW

Log Member
I'm looking forward to watching your build on adtube. ...and like Aerowerx mentioned: I hope you post a build log here also.

Daleandee

I just bought a new home (Spokane, WA) with a detached shop and now I can hardly wait to get started on my new Sonex model B build.

My goal is to document the entire build via YouTube videos. First and foremost I think it'll be fun to look back on the build, but I also thought other homebuilders might enjoy watching (and hopefully learning from) my mistakes :)

My first video is here. If you end up giving it a watch I'd love to hear your feedback.
Welcome to HBA and the Sonex community. You will enjoy the build as the Sonex is a great design and the plans are very good although there are a few "gotchas" along the way. I have a "C" model Sonex i.e. a Cleanex which is a Corvair powered Model A legacy version. It's a really fun airplane to fly!

My recommendation for your B-model would be Corvair power but it might be suggested that I'm quite biased ... which is absolutely true!

;)

Dale
N319WF

BJC

HBA Supporter
..it might be suggested that I'm quite biased ... which is absolutely true!
There is nothing wrong with being biased if you first considered all the alternatives, then made your choice based on facts plus your wants and needs.

BJC

Victor Bravo

Take all possible measures to build the aircraft, wings, tail surfaces, etc. 100% straight and true. I have just laid eyes on a Sonex Waiex that one of our EAA chapter members bought. It is an absolutely beautiful aircraft except one of the V-tail stabilizer halves was twisted several degrees.

The amount of havoc that this twist created, poor flying qualities, trim problems, speed loss, etc. was unbelievable. Now the guy has to remove one of the tails and build a new one. A couple of extra hours, or a jigging fixture, would have saved all this.

Boston425

Take all possible measures to build the aircraft, wings, tail surfaces, etc. 100% straight and true. I have just laid eyes on a Sonex Waiex that one of our EAA chapter members bought. It is an absolutely beautiful aircraft except one of the V-tail stabilizer halves was twisted several degrees.

The amount of havoc that this twist created, poor flying qualities, trim problems, speed loss, etc. was unbelievable. Now the guy has to remove one of the tails and build a new one. A couple of extra hours, or a jigging fixture, would have saved all this.
Ah, thanks for the words of wisdom! I really appreciate it. I'll do my best to make you proud ;)

Tyler

Victor Bravo

FritzW on our HBA forum (post #3 above) just completed a Sonex build recently with his EAA Chapter in NM. If you can bribe him into sharing some of the tricks, ideas, warnings, do/don't's, and Sonex-specific things with you... you will be in good shape. Daleandee (above) appears to be very knowledgeable as well.

FritzW

Log Member
...V-tail stabilizer halves was twisted several degrees. ...The amount of havoc that this twist created
The twisted stab that VB is talking about is just one of MANY twisted things on that airplane :shock:. That airplane was a guest of our chapter for a few months while we tried to get it straight enough to so it could finish the trip home.

I don't think Tyler will have any problems. Sonex/Waiex are easy to build and easy to build straight. Like anything else, you just gotta pay attention.

Aerowerx

...and like Aerowerx mentioned: I hope you post a build log here also.
Boston425, the advantage of posting your build log in the Member Projects section is that no one except you can post to it. So there is no thread drift, and your build log won't end up being a discussion on the merits of Vulcan mysticism.;)

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Welcome looking forward to following your build journey. The sonix is a neat looking plane. Its on my list of possible second builds if i still have the building bug when the little piet is done.

Boston425

Welcome looking forward to following your build journey. The sonix is a neat looking plane. Its on my list of possible second builds if i still have the building bug when the little piet is done.

Thank you wingnut! Really appreciate it :)

This is a pretty awesome community.

Boston425

Boston425, the advantage of posting your build log in the Member Projects section is that no one except you can post to it. So there is no thread drift, and your build log won't end up being a discussion on the merits of Vulcan mysticism.;)
I'll definitely take advantage of the Member Projects section once I actually crack open my kit. Probably have another 3 weeks of shop renovation before I get to that point.

Boston425

The latest video installment :)

The first 5-7 videos on my channel will focus on getting the shop ready for my Sonex build. I'm trying to use these videos as a testing ground so that when I actually crack open my Sonex kit I'll have half an idea of how to edit the videos.

[video=youtube_share;iYncc-QsMTw]https://youtu.be/iYncc-QsMTw[/video]

Tench745

Personal opinion: You're going to really regret painting the ceiling anything but white and adding that dark accent wall. Light makes a shop work. The brighter it is, the better your work, and the more pleasant it is to spend time there. (within reason).
Your mileage my vary. Glad to see someone is finally creating airplane building content akin to a lot of the boat building channels I watch.

Boston425

Personal opinion: You're going to really regret painting the ceiling anything but white and adding that dark accent wall. Light makes a shop work. The brighter it is, the better your work, and the more pleasant it is to spend time there. (within reason).
Your mileage my vary. Glad to see someone is finally creating airplane building content akin to a lot of the boat building channels I watch.

Hey Tench,

I totally hear you. I think you might be right with that dark accent wall, but at the same time, since I'm planning on filming in there, it was important to me to have a darker wall to shoot against. All of my previous workspaces have been all white. White walls, white ceiling, white epoxy floors... we'll see how much I regret switching it up this time around :)

Also, do you watch Sail Life? Definitely my favorite boat project channel!

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Bonus points for pulling out both Raymers.

Keep 'em coming!